Bio K1 filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Iv now got all my materials together to start building my K1 bio filter (moving bed with air stones) im using a 110 ltr green water butt as the container. iv heard that the K1 should only fill the container by 50% is this true?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that's about the general rule, as i've heard it. fill it slowly,, 1/3 at a time. adding as the k1 drops from positive buoyancie to neutral buoyancie. this occurs as bacteria colonizes the media and creates added weight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Koiguy1969 Thank you for the advice, i want to get the bio filter up and running and snag free for the spring, as i had to ditch my last K1 filter as it was not a moving bed, the choked it self up and burnt a pump out so this winter it was pen and paper out better planning and the plans for bio mk2 were born, the next question i have is it still way to cold to add bacteria starter to the new filter and for it to take hold or should i rig it up get it circulating and when it warms up crank it up and then slowly add the K1 many thanks in taking the time and replying to the thread, ps nice to meet you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Koiguy1969 Thank you for the advice, i want to get the bio filter up and running and snag free for the spring, as i had to ditch my last K1 filter as it was not a moving bed, the choked it self up and burnt a pump out so this winter it was pen and paper out better planning and the plans for bio mk2 were born, the next question i have is it still way to cold to add bacteria starter to the new filter and for it to take hold or should i rig it up get it circulating and when it warms up crank it up and then slowly add the K1 many thanks in taking the time and replying to the thread, ps nice to meet you
Thats the general rule as KoiGuy says Slick, ours is in a large industrial barrel the club made for us after the old vortex filter sprang a major leak.
How many airstones where you planning to use Slickthe K1 will float for a while then sink this is because it has some sort of coating , be aware that K1 can and does find its way out of your filter and can get trapped in your Pump.
We supplied ours with six airstones and the K1 gets plenty of movement , you know how it all works the more movement the better .

Dave

Last edited:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
The floating Dave54 speaks of is the positive buoyancy I spoke of. The "some sort of film" he speaks of is the biofilm or bacterial Colony building up on the media. This added weight causes the neutral buoyancy or the "sinking" he mentioned.

Last edited:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Make sure you put a lid on top to keep all the k1 inside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Found that the wayer level of our filters is bellow that of the rim Dr Case but we still added a lid to that filter
I always thought it was a proective coating when new Koi Guy and this is what first caued it to float ?

Dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Every ones filter is set up different , from my experience with long Gravity return lines and k1 , things happen fast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
2015-02-08 14.07.33.jpg
2015-02-08 14.43.27.jpg
2015-02-08 14.08.08.jpg
2015-02-08 14.08.01.jpg
2015-02-08 14.07.28.jpg
2015-02-08 12.28.50.jpg
2015-02-08 12.28.42.jpg
Sorry about that pressed wrong button lol, All info much appreciated as this is my first attempt at this type of project i have posted a photos of the filter so far its not all glued together yet so if any body see's some thing that's not quite right feel free to say so and changes can be made I have gone for long 40mm solvent weld cages on all out lets including the drain off valve to hopfuly stop the K1 escaping, I'm planning on using 6 2inch air stones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The 2 top pipes are both 40mm outlets that extend below the water level by 12 inc and extend above the water level by 4 inch as a over flow the inlets are not fitted yet i was going to place the intet above the water level of the filter, i have gone for 2 40mm outlets as im not 100% on the rate of water flow over the K1 is the best, i have 2 options at the moment, im running a 13000ltr p/h main pump fitted with a splitter feeding 2 separate pressure filters. i could use the out let from one of these filters to run the bio filter or, im also running a small 2000ltr pump just providing that little more flow through the bottom drain so the 2000ltr pump could be used to solely to run the bio?
2015-02-08 12.29.50.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One question the container is around the 45 gallon mark, obviously it will not be filled the the top, but what's the suggested flow rate through the K1 is slower the better for the bacteria to take hold and influence the the water quality? as I know that if you run water to fast through a standard filter box you get over wash

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
2000 lph is about 500 gph..shouldn't be an issue. I would start with a light airflow, just enough to get them moving. but not necessarily "boiling". give bacteria alittle easier time colonizing. adding more media and increasing air flow as the media drops buoyancy and changes color..the color is the bacteria covering the media. you'll find the air does more to move the media than the water flow. now with moving bed filters the idea is to keep the media moving to insure only the strongest bacteria stay colonized. the dead and weaker bacteria and debris are dislodged by the media banging into itself. the bacteria dislodged can colonize on other surfaces. what is your flow rate?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
With the set up i have i can go any where with my water flow rate from nothing right up to 15000lrts p/h i have a series of flow valves in place at the moment i have 10,000 ltrs going to a submerged venture, 3,000ltrs going to a surface level out let and 2,000 ltrs running a very small filter box on the side of the pond,this is only in place to increase aeration and a bit more drag through the bottom drain,

Ask a Question