bio media in cetus sieve?

Reaction score
crazy question, but i'm wondering if anyone out there with a cetus sieve ever thought of putting some bio material in the water basin after the screen. K1 perhaps? I'm looking for ways to increase bio with VERY limited space.

Reaction score
Wouldn't you be afraid of the media jamming the weir?

A moving bed filter can have a very small footprint as tall as you like.

Reaction score
yes. but i was thinking of bagging it and tying it down somehow so it doesn't float toward the weir.

another option I have is using feather rock in my stream. I'm a little concerned about it tearing the liner because it's so sharp, but the stuff has incredible surface area.

Reaction score
Personally, after paying $1000 for a Cetus I wouldn't take the chance. Media jams the weir so it can't lower, pump burns out. Media clogs the outflow, pump burns out. Media restricts flow and you're paying the same in electric to move less water and maybe the sieve floods because out flow isn't high enough. And what are you gaining exactly...1 cu ft of media? That can be added easily anywhere in virtually no space...even above the sieve.

EPDM can take feather rock as long as there isn't movement. If you're worried you could lay a thin mortar bed down first, or a scrap of liner, or geo textile.

I'm not personally a big fan of feather rock. It's nasty. 20 years ago all anyone ever thought about was surface area. But after awhile people started to notice that surface area that clogged = no surface area. So you hear a lot less hype about surface are in the last 10 years and I think rightly so. The focus has been more on making less surface area more productive instead by increasing gas exchange (O2) and keep KH up, etc.

Lots of people do swear by feather rock, in Shower filters especially...I'm just not one.

Reaction score
Waterbug said:
Personally, after paying $1000 for a Cetus I wouldn't take the chance. Media jams the weir so it can't lower, pump burns out. Media clogs the outflow, pump burns out. Media restricts flow and you're paying the same in electric to move less water and maybe the sieve floods because out flow isn't high enough. And what are you gaining exactly...1 cu ft of media? That can be added easily anywhere in virtually no space...even above the sieve.

EPDM can take feather rock as long as there isn't movement. If you're worried you could lay a thin mortar bed down first, or a scrap of liner, or geo textile.

I'm not personally a big fan of feather rock. It's nasty. 20 years ago all anyone ever thought about was surface area. But after awhile people started to notice that surface area that clogged = no surface area. So you hear a lot less hype about surface are in the last 10 years and I think rightly so. The focus has been more on making less surface area more productive instead by increasing gas exchange (O2) and keep KH up, etc.

Lots of people do swear by feather rock, in Shower filters especially...I'm just not one.
waterbug,

what would your favorite shower media be?

Reaction score
My favorite would be anything cheap because I'm cheap. I like stuff that stays pretty clean. Pea gravel, plastic army men, whatever I can get cheap. Pea gravel doesn't work very well as a deep bed, so I go with 2" deep and just have more trays. Bio balls (plastic army men, hair curlers, whatever) water flows through really well so fewer trays but deeper.

But I wouldn't go by what I like. I'm kind of odd. I don't like expensive and complex. I'd rather build more filter rather than have the most efficient if 20% higher efficiency costs me 50 times more. I also tend to not believe claims of people selling expensive high tech media. K1/K3 media is simple and easy to understand, so I like that, not that K1/3 is meant for showers.

People who run showers more than I ever had do like the feather rock. But I sure don't.

Interestingly if you look at how materials like Sharklet work to inhibit bacteria growth you see why greater and greater surface area isn't the only consideration. Sharlet has very high surface area but bacteria has a hard time growing large colonies. Not saying feather rock or anything else would inhibit bacteria growth, but to me, there's more to this than surface area.

Ask a Question