Bio Pure pressure filter

Reaction score
Hi I'm considering using a Bio Pure pressure filter 1000 with uv. I've read mixed reviews. Does anyone have a advise or experience using this. My pond is about 400 gal. Thanks :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just never liked pressure filters the cost is not cheap and they really never work great and they leak or crack to easy .You could make your own filter cheaper and make it pretty too .For your size pond you could use a nice fiberglass pot .I just use lava rock in my filters and over the years I just made them bigger but did not change the stuff used to filter my pond .Pressurized filters also cannot take heat or cold.But that is up to you .

Reaction score
Thanks Sissy, I don't know very much about filters. We bought this last weekend but I think I'm going to return it. Is there somewhere I can find how to make one like you mentioned?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Pam, my TetraPond Bio-Active Pressure Filter is very reliable and very easy to back flush. I should note that my 2300 gallon pond does not have fish. Check out the Drs. Foster & Smith website for a wide variety of filters. Their customer service agents can help you determine which type of filter is best for your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have builds on here and you tube has videos .I made mine .Since lou has one it may be good ,I have just never heard of the brand .This is what I used to make my first filter

Attachments

• pond 015.JPG
    pond 015.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 210
  • pond parts 002.JPG
    pond parts 002.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 241
  • pond parts 011.JPG
    pond parts 011.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 176
  • pond parts 001.JPG
    pond parts 001.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 203
  • pond parts 015.JPG
    pond parts 015.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 202
  • pond parts 016.JPG
    pond parts 016.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 181
  • pond parts 019.JPG
    pond parts 019.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 198

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you tell how the liner is attached to the rock and how to replace it .Liners are not cheap .It looks bigger than 400 gallons and you can use online pond sights to calculate the size liner you need .I have upgraded my filters at least 3 times and added a second one .Lava rock may be old fashioned but it does work .But pressure filters have to be emptied and taken inside in cold temps or they will crack .If you have fish or planning on having fish you will need a pond heater for winter and maybe an aerator .if you are trying to save money look at the watts they use also .If leaves fall in the pond you will need a net and a liquid water test kit

Reaction score
I do have fish and they did good over the winter, I unhooked the waterfall and left the pump on for circulation. The liner is held in place by the rocks. My husband made a frame with PVC pipe attached the net that worked great for the leaves in the fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've had success with my pressurized filter. I also have filtration in my Savio skimmer, minimizing the amount of cleaning I need to do with my filter. I do clean and take my filter inside for the winter. Annual maintenance includes new seals and UV light. I hide mine under a hydrangea.....it's easy and it works....but that's just me:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are the stone walls dry stacked or cemented or half and half .You have to replace the liner it may be a lot of work .Glad you netted it because it could have been a real mess with the leaves .I guess you can getaway with pressurized as long as you can get the parts and you have another filter to help it along and they are not bad for smaller ponds .I had 2 but sold them .I use window screen because little froggy legs and birds can get tangled in those other nets .You have to put those nets up right .If they lay flat it can mean animals get tangled in them .Plus if you have pine trees window screening keeps the needles out .You could get that prefilter colleen and jw use on there pump also .

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Pam, my TetraPond Bio-Active Pressure Filter is very reliable and very easy to back flush. I should note that my 2300 gallon pond does not have fish. Check out the Drs. Foster & Smith website for a wide variety of filters. Their customer service agents can help you determine which type of filter is best for your pond.
I'm heavily considering a Tetra Bio active filter. A bit expensive but I like the concept. I have a major disadvantage of limited space so the compactness of those filters is important. So I see those buried all the time. I'm considering digging a hole in the middle of a walkway for a vault type installation and concealing the filter under a trapdoor. Easily accessible for maintenance but doesn't take much space in the small space there is.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I posted in another thread that I changed my mind. I'm wanting tomgomwith an Aquascape UltraKlean 2000 instead. The backflush feature will connect to a spigot in the upper garden. That way I can use the dirty water for plants. Makes great fertilizer.

Ask a Question