Resource icon

Bio security for nets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 submitted a new article:

Protocol for nets - "if you use it disinfect it" .

With the onset of GHV (CyHV2) and KHV (CyHV3)its time we all thought about protocol that you should then set in stone
It has been proven that Angling nets helped in the spread of both virus's through the UK's fishing lakes.
GHV (CyHV2) KHV (CyHV3) once spread means disaster for your pond.
So as such it is in your interest to have a protocol to at least stall, or even stop these dread virus's in its tracks
1) Never use your nets in anyones pond .
2) Never lend your nets out to another fish...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Dave - Great articles, some are especially good for the novice, other for everyone. So many people are naive to reading.
I've learned so much over the 23 years by picking up a good book.
I have a question:
What problems can you run into re: the article on nets. Would one disinfect a net that never leaves your own pond? I've actually never have done that.
I just rinse them off with the hose. I also rarely buy koi. Since my casualties are near nil and I want to stay clear of KHV, I leave well enough alone and watch my koi grow, not that when I see something unusual, I wouldn't like to buy it. I would :) ... I don't have the best quarantine setup so it keeps me at bay. So, back to the nets. If you skim the water for floating leaves,excess food ( not that there is any excess food ... lol ) or whatever, you always disinfect?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave - Great articles, some are especially good for the novice, other for everyone. So many people are naive to reading.
I have a question:
What problems can you run into re: the article on nets. Would one disinfect a net that never leaves your own pond? I've actually never have done that.
I just rinse them off with the hose. I also rarely buy koi. Since my casualties are near nil and I want to stay clear of KHV, I leave well enough alone and watch my koi grow, not that when I see something unusual, I wouldn't like to buy it. I would :) ... I don't have the best quarantine setup so it keeps me at bay. So, back to the nets. If you skim the water for floating leaves,excess food ( not that there is any excess food ... lol ) or whatever, you always disinfect?
The problem with KHV is it has also proven to be a latent virus [see articles page] in that it will bide its time before coming to your attention when one stressor or another kicj starts the virus again this is why we disinfect .
If the net has been in your sytem all the time and yo know where all your koi come from its not a prolem as such but biosecurity is something we must all in reality practice because it makes for good practice

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question:
The bio-security we use means the nets have to be disinfected each time as are our hands , bleach is a good disinfectant but corrodes the net PP can also be used as well as Virkon 'S'
If you practice bio security it becomes second nature to do so . .
You could wear disposable gloves or even arm legth koi gloves, protective glasses are another thing , personally I'd think about upgrading your QT fasility somewhat put a heater in to be capable of heat ramping your fish.
We have a member in our club who knows more about koi health than I do , it was his job , hes my mentor and hasn't added any koi to his pond for over 10 years .
Yet the day they spawned they were away somewhere for the week they spawned in the pond as such the ammonia levels sky rocketed .
The took action as soon as they got home then he lost one fish then another three and yet another three, he pulled some strings and got the koi tested and even then the lab tech was 95% sure it was KHV , he got the results later in the post they were 98% sure of it .
my point how do you fight a sleeper ...... answer by practising bio-security at all times
Dont be tempted to add koi straight in your pond when its come straight from a trusted dealership because they had already Qt'd it you must do your own QT on on reciept of your new koi
@barryian So the point for bio-security is great as you can see my friend

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question