Bioballs and K1

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have 2 Oase filtoclear 3000 for my 1700 gallon pond. They have different courseness of sponges inside only . My water is crystal clear. I was wondering if it is beneficial if I replace 1 of the filter sponges with Ki medis or bioballs. Or should I just buy a 3rd filter with just Ki or bioballs for beneficial bacteria?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wondering why you think you might need to change or add to your filtration.... It sounds like you have adequate filtration for a 1700 gallon pond.

How are your water parameters? How are your fish doing? What kind of and how many fish do you have?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @Mmathis - not sure why you're concerned about more filtration. Are you thinking the sponge filters won't allow bacteria to colonize?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was just thinking I need more bio filtration as my oase filtoclear is mostly sponge mechanical filtration. I have 5 goldfish around 12-15 inches and 20 around 6-8 inches. I dont check my water quality. I do every 2 weeks vaccuming bottom of pond and weekly 20% water change. I get the occasional parasite/ bacterial infections in spring after hibernation which I treat with potassium permanganate. I did get an anchor worm this year for the 1st time in 12 years of owning my pond which was treated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 2 Oase filtoclear 3000 for my 1700 gallon pond. They have different courseness of sponges inside only . My water is crystal clear. I was wondering if it is beneficial if I replace 1 of the filter sponges with Ki medis or bioballs. Or should I just buy a 3rd filter with just Ki or bioballs for beneficial bacteria?
Bi balls are designed to have water trickled over them allowing the balls to always be wet and all the 02 the bacteria could ever want to thrive bio balls would be a good first media for grabbing heavy sediment like plant branches leaves etc. but your sponge media will have a boat load more surface area for bacteria to grow on but it can clog so dunking when that occurs in pond water in a bucket
the advantage to k1 is you inject air or serious water movement allowing for the sediment to always be flushed out and the bacteria kept from being choked out by sediment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Bi balls are designed to have water trickled over them allowing the balls to always be wet and all the 02 the bacteria could ever want to thrive bio balls would be a good first media for grabbing heavy sediment like plant branches leaves etc. but your sponge media will have a boat load more surface area for bacteria to grow on but it can clog so dunking when that occurs in pond water in a bucket
the advantage to k1 is you inject air or serious water movement allowing for the sediment to always be flushed out and the bacteria kept from being choked out by sediment.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So then I will keep my 2 oase pressure filter and have an old working pressure filter that I can remove the sponges off. It will be on the end last filter after my 2 sponge filter. Would I need to fill it all the way full of Ki or should it only be half way? I also have my pump in a large mesh pump bag that I added bioballs around it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry I honestly can't say I have never been a big fan of canister filters . they have tgere place i have always built a bit large for them to be viable

Ask a Question