Biofalls Waterfall inlet question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the process of getting a pond with the waterfall back in working order, it has an Aquascape Signature Skimmer and a large Aquascape Biofalls tank.

Question, inside the Biofalls there are two 2” holes about 3 inches from each other, it’s how the units are made.

So far it appears the installation has been fairly by the book and was done correctly. As a rookie DIYer, my question is are the two holes both intended to be inlets from the pump or does one feed back to the skimmer for some type of circulation purpose. I put a garden hose in the waterfall and water does come out in the skimmer.

My issue is, should I seal the hole in the skimmer or leave it open or install a secondary pump so that both of the 2”inch holes in skimmer are hooked to a pump? Not sure why the Biofalls needs two holes.

It’s challenging not being able to see the plumbing underground and I’m getting close to the finish line.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, should have used a more descriptive subject line.

They are two separate questions. This one is about the inlets on the Biofalls.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I presume the extra is for backwashing the skimmer.I presume the extra is for backwashing the skimmer. Is it possible the other one is blocked off on the outside of the falls or something? If it is for a back flow, then the second hole should be connected to plumbing with some sort of valve to keep water from flowing out normally.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not positive about this one, but it seems to me there's a hole on either side to accommodate left or right side plumbing. You cut the appropriate hole for the side that your water line is coming from.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I presume the extra is for backwashing the skimmer.I presume the extra is for backwashing the skimmer. Is it possible the other one is blocked off on the outside of the falls or something? If it is for a back flow, then the second hole should be connected to plumbing with some sort of valve to keep water from flowing out normally.

Thanks. Both holes, bulkheads, would drain to the skimmer. When I got the pond, the skimmer, an Aquascape Signature, had a check valve hooked on one side and nothing on the other.

I’m wondering if I should cap off one of the holes in the skimmer which I think leads to the Biofalls unit.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes cap it off your falls will not flow well, with out that pipe capped, most of the water will run back down that pipe right to the skimmer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question