biological filter replacement?

Reaction score
I have a cyprio bio-filter with the UV attachment. I have a laguna pump (1200 gph) running the water to the filter which is about 6 feet of hose and from the filter to the waterfall it's about 5 feet. I've always just kind of guessed at general maintenance and other basics of my pond (even though i've had my pond for 2 years now.) Just after a few days of being on here i've learned a lot.

Anyways, my pond seems to have always had string algae problems. It's in the sun for about 6-8 hours a day and shaded the rest. I have started to use algaefix this year every 3-4 days and had moderate success with it. I have to scoop out quite a bit of algae about as often as i use the algaefix.

This leads me to a few questions related to my filter. Would i be better off replacing the 3 pads that came with the filter with some of the scrubbie pads recommended by certain people on the forums, or just leave the pads as they are.

My 2nd question is how do i know when my UV light has stopped working? It is a 9 watt light and besides just being burned out, i don't know how to check to see if it is working like it should be. If it is burned out, where is a good place to purchase a new one?

3rd and final question...I just started hearing about beneficial bacteria from these forums and am completely new to it. Should I immediately add beneficial bacteria to my filter pads ( or scrubbies if that's what's recommended?) since i haven't ever put anything like this in my pond? Thanks so much for any help you guys could be....I will be visiting every day from now on!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can buy beneficial bacteria liquid and just pour it in the pond..u.v bulbs continue to burn long after they are rendered uneffective, 2 years its definately time to replace bulb.. i dont know what type pads are in your filter...is it pressurized? but the more media, the more bacteria can colonize your filter.

Reaction score
UV lights need to be replaced every year. It's preferable to do it in the spring when you do your spring cleaning. If you've had that light in there two years it is no longer effective, which is why you're having that algae problem.

If your filter has been running two years you should have plenty of good bacteria in there. Have you been washing your current media with tap water from the hose or something? If so, you are definitely killing the bacteria each time. To clean filter media, simply get a 5 gallon bucket and scoop up pond water and you use that to clean your pads and such.

How are you cleaning your media now?

Reaction score
Yeah, i have been making the mistake of cleaning the filter pads every couple months by spraying them with the hose. I've been slowly realizing all the little mistakes i've been making the more I've been reading some posts on the forums.

Sounds like i am probably due for a new uv light also. thanks for the help!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if your filter is doing its job correctly...your u.v should last for years... i use mine a week or so a year unplug it, clean it and put it away. till the next year..i let my water go green for about 3 days turn on the u.v run it a few days past the water clearing, and its done for the season. and my water is CLEAR and in full sun to boot!!

Reaction score
Welcome,
You should have plenty of good bacteria in there. Have you been washing your current media with tap water from the hose or something? If so, you are definitely killing the bacteria each time.To clean filter media, simply get a 5 gallon bucket and scoop up pond water and you use that to clean your pads and such.

Ask a Question