Birch and aspen trees next to a pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm in the middle of building my pond. Well actually the pond is built, but now I'm busy with landscaping and planting by the pond. I have some carpet junipers, a Japanese maple, and some grasses to put in, but I'm wondering about a few trees.

Specifically, I'm wondering about American Aspen and White Birch. I'd like to plant about four or five of these trees along my fence to separate my pond tranquility area from my neighbor's house. No problem with the neighbors, but it's nice to have a bit of privacy. Anyhow, I digress. Both of these trees have shallow wide root systems. They'll be planted about 2-3 feet from the edge of my pond. Will this be a root nightmare with my pond (lined with 45 mil EDPM liner), or will it be a non-issue?

I realize there are better privacy shrubs, but I'm not looking to block out my neighbors completely; just to break it up a bit. I also REALLY love the look of both of these species of trees, and there are a plethora of them available for me to dig up near my house. I live by a lot of old reclaimed mine land where these species of trees initially take over until the larger oaks, maples, and simlar species take over. And as an added bonus, they are fast growers... But, again, I'm worried about my pond and the root systems.

Here's a picture of the pond and the area I'd like to plant these trees (ignore the unsightly mess... It's still a pond construction zone!). This picture makes the pond look much close to the fence than it is. It's about 3 feet from the fence at its closest. I'd like to plant them along the fence, so really only one or two would actually be close to the pond.

20140523_104408-XL.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you are planting bushes or trees you must remember that trees will actively seek out water and have been know to puncture liners on ponds , then you have to think about what fauna etc is acctually poisonous to your fish please see link to list :-

http://www.cnykoi.com/articles/plantpoisonous.asp

I hope this helps you in your plans

Dave

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those type trees if you check them out have lots of roots that seek out water and can even kill other trees by the roots wrapping around the roots of other trees and strangling them .They have lots of ground roots also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Aspens grow wild here. They are short lived and send off runners with suckers attached. The largest single living organism on earth is a forest of Aspen trees. All connected under ground making up one HUGE plant. Our neighbor across the street had one that you would have thought died. But while the one tree was dead, yes, it still sends up runner trees all over their lawn and beds. We have been watching it occur for over 5 years now without one visible Aspen tree in their yard. They mow them down when mowing the lawn but they easily reach 2 feet high again by the next time they mow. Aspen's are like the running bamboo of the tree world.

Needless to say I would not recommend planting Aspens.
http://pagosa.com/adventureguide/observing-colorado-aspen-largest-living-earth/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Wow. Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked first. I may put in a birch tree or two on the far end away from the pond, but definitely not the aspen, and neither of them right next to the pond.

Ask a Question