Bird photo thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wowwee to both photos! :bowdown: Not sure I've got anything to match up to those, but I'll keep my camera handy and see if I can get some photos of the little birds on the feeder outside.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm no good at photographing birds, my camera isn't up to the task, but...

Back in 2010 I had a much worse camera, but we had a pair of European Goldfinches at our feeders for a few months, so I have to share that!

25813.png

Next is a Tree Swallow. In spring I decided to build a couple of Tree Swallow nesting boxes and put them in my yard. Within three days, this pair showed up!

IMG_0197 copy.png

Finally, in terms of quality, this photo of Mallard Ducks at the local zoo has to be my best bird photo.

IMG_4161.jpg

EDIT: I must also share my photo of a Sandhill Crane I took last summer. Sandhill's in this area aren't scared of humans at all and even share the beach with them.
sc.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You have European goldfinches in Wisconsin??? My dad used to raise them here, and I've seen them in NZ, but I never knew there were any in North America. Love 'em!
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A nice mix you posted there. Please tell us more about the finches. Where they rare visitors?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
HARO said:
You have European goldfinches in Wisconsin??? My dad used to raise them here, and I've seen them in NZ, but I never knew there were any in North America. Love 'em!
John
RobAmy said:
Please tell us more about the finches. Where they rare visitors?

Well, word is that a breeder in Chicago either purposely released them or they escaped (not sure how long ago) and they seem to be increasing their population in the Chicago area. I live in Southeastern Wisconsin which is not far from Chicago. In 2010 when they were showing up to our feeders, they stuck around from April to July, showing up nearly daily, and as it got warmer, they seemingly preferred cloudy or rainy days.

I haven't seen any since then, but bird watchers in the area have shown that they're still around, and still as close as half a mile from my house. I'm not sure why they stopped showing up to my feeder but I'm hoping they return.

I remember reading an article saying that there used to be small populations around New York too but they died off long ago. I guess only time will tell what happens to the ones around here. I'm hoping their population continues to grow, as long as they don't have damaging effects on our own native bird populations.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Enjoying all your birdie photos everyone! We have a few birds that like to hang around my pond and property now and then when the cats aren't around. And don't ask me any specifics on them cuz I am not an avid bird person, just love watching them.

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

This is not my photo or video below but I thought you might enjoy them as we have these beautiful birds in our area. They are Trumpeter Swans and graze in all the farmlands around here.

50b19ee874026.image.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks and I know the 2nd one down is some kind of finches and of course our lovely friend the Great Blue Heron below that one but the top one I forgot what he was :biggrin:

Ask a Question