Birds as pond-predators....

What bird pond-predators have you encountered?

• Total voters

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious. As I drive around, I see a lot of those white cranes [used to know what they were called -- sorry....] in the roadside ditches, "fishing" for frogs, crawdads, etc. But I never hear anything about them when it comes to backyard ponds.

It's mostly the GBH -- and I have heard one mention of a Green Heron, and one mention of a Kingfisher -- that seems to visit our ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Is it too late to add a poll choice of none? In four years of having ponds, I've yet to encounter any pond predators. Of course, I'm not watching my pond 24/7, but I've also never lost a fish due to predation.

Knock on wood...

Reaction score
Stinky green heron!!!!! We used to love these birds, but that quickly came to an end after he gobbled up a few hundred dollars of fish!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is it too late to add a poll choice of none? In four years of having ponds, I've yet to encounter any pond predators. Of course, I'm not watching my pond 24/7, but I've also never lost a fish due to predation.

Knock on wood...
Well, I thought about it, but if you don't have bird problems, then.....you don't need to respond as such.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You need to add frogs to the poll :)

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well, I thought about it, but if you don't have bird problems, then.....you don't need to respond as such.
The reason I suggested this was because if I don't reply at all I have to click to view the poll results instead of them just popping up. I just choose other for this poll.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Just curious. As I drive around, I see a lot of those white cranes [used to know what they were called -- sorry....] in the roadside ditches, "fishing" for frogs, crawdads, etc. But I never hear anything about them when it comes to backyard ponds.

It's mostly the GBH -- and I have heard one mention of a Green Heron, and one mention of a Kingfisher -- that seems to visit our ponds.

Those "white cranes" are Egrets. They especilly love crawfish in commercial low water pond fields and rice fields.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry to shout, BUT LOOK AT THE TITLE and topic of my thread!:banghead:

"Birds as pond predators!"

:rolleyes: LOL -- you guys crack me up! o_O:ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question