Bit off more than he could chew

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So yesterday I went out to check on the fish. Here is my goldie hovering near the surface with a 6 inch night crawler hanging out of its mouth.
Pretty sure that it wasn't going in and wasn't coming out. So I netted it up and pulled the night crawler out of its mouth. I don't think it had been there long cause the worm was still wiggling when I tossed it onto the ground. So wondering if that could of killed my fish eventually if I hadn't of pulled it out.
Should of taken a pic.
Also wondering if eating things like this when water temps are low 40s if they would have digestion problems??

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The worm would have disappeared down the fish's throat in due time as the leading end was digested. I had a smallmouth bass (3" long) who decided to swallow a tankmate (white sucker 4" long). It took him a while, but he did it!
John

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Most of us stop the feeding when the temp drops below 50
That just shows us fish will eat when ever they get hungry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Huh I suppose he would of got rid of it eventually but it looked like it was stuck in there! :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Interesting you should bring this up. In September I noticed one of my Comets had its mouth wide open. It worried me immediately because the last thing I want is one of my fish to die. So I went after it with the net, when I caught it, it spit out a big green caterpillar. Not sure if it was too big or what, but I was relieved and it was pretty funny.

(I then tried to eat the dead caterpillar to my frog but it didn't want it.)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JBtheExplorer said:
(I then tried to eat the dead caterpillar to my frog but it didn't want it.)
Well if I was a frog watching you eat the dead caterpillar I don't think I would want it either!

Ask a Question