Black fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a garden pond for several years. I have a couple of ghost koi, shubunkins and gold fish. Every year for the past few the fish have had babies. As usual all the babies are black or 99% black when tiny but change as they grow. Last year I noticed one that was quiet big that was still black and today I've seen it again. It is now about 5 inches long and totally black but is shaped like a goldfish. Will he change or is this normal for some to stay totally black?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It could go either way. All of the GF I’ve had have eventually and gradually changed color. Shame because they are so pretty! I have 2 in the pond now — I think both are around 2-3 years old, which is longer than I’ve ever had any stay black. Every day now, when I am out checking on them, I expect to see “the change” happening. Maybe it won’t!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a few goldfish that are quite large and still black - I'm guessing they are three years old, as we have not had any new babies the last two years. The interesting thing is how fast they change colors once they start.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've had them go from black to orange -- and then to white!!!!!
Same here!

I read sometime back that with goldfish, the “black” color is the least stable (from a genetics point), and is usually going to be the first color to disappear. This isn’t true for Shubunkin, however, as their “genetics” are different. The genetics of color with GF is more complicated than it is with koi, so koi are more likely to keep their colors over time. I am hoping that my 2 Black Goldie’s have some Shubie genes — maybe those will keep them from changing. Genetics! Fascinating but so complicated!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've had the black goldfish that stayed black for years and then whamo either turned oj or white. Never had any stay black forever.

Ask a Question