Black fry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a small pond with 6 koi and 1 goldfish. I now have about 30 fry over 3 years. They start off black but have now started to go golden around the head. Are they across between koi & the one gold fish I have and will they change coulor
Thank you for any reply
Keith

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 142

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know if it really matters about the whiskers/barbels whatever you call them. I have read some hybrids have them and some don't. You would just have to watch perhaps and see how big they get as I would think the hybrids would get much bigger than true goldfish. I think maybe the biggest a goldfish would get would be about 12". I've also heard the crossbred koi/goldfish are a brownish gold color, sorta drab looking. Sounds like yours are getting some color so will be interesting to see what they turn into. I've heard the hybrid's are sterile also. Are the koi male and female? If no barbels on your babies I think they would have to be a hybrid since you only have one goldfish in there and no other goldfish for it to mate with. I just talked myself into believing they have to be koi/goldfish hybrids for that reason.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting...............seems like the one lil gold fish would not drop enough eggs or sperm to make many babies with six koi hanging around. But it would make some.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Interesting...............seems like the one lil gold fish would not drop enough eggs or sperm to make many babies with six koi hanging around. But it would make some.
From what I’ve observed and heard, koi are really bad at eating goldfish fry, but goldfish are champs at eating koi fry. So when you have a mixed pond, only baby goldfish and or hybrids survive, so you end up with more goldfish than koi. (In this case you end up with more hybrids since there’s only one Goldie)

In my parents pond, I would say that almost all of surviving offspring from the last 5 years have been hybrids or goldfish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just watch my shubbies snack up as fast as they could some eggs, one of them laid on the hornwort. There was a cloud of fish inhaling the eggs.

Ask a Question