Black Goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was reading a few posts on black goldfish. I switched my fish to feeder fish about 8 years ago from koi because my pond was not really suited for koi growth. I have some fun little goldfish and this year a newbie was born and is still black in color. When I research, the black color always seems to be related to disease transmitted by water snails. I do have a few Japanese Trap Door snails to help with algae control but the pond is not overrun with them. Can the fish be healthy and still remain black for a period of time? I'd say this little guy is about 1.5-2 inches long. It eats well and interacts well, no sign of distress that I can see. Thanks guys and look forward to feedback from this community!
Carla

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1594314540870.gif
welcome @callegood
Oh yes they can stay black like that for years. I had some that I thought would never change but eventually they did and some turned a pretty white while others turned orange or a kinds yellowy color. Some where over 6" to 8" long when they started turning.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I was reading a few posts on black goldfish. I switched my fish to feeder fish about 8 years ago from koi because my pond was not really suited for koi growth. I have some fun little goldfish and this year a newbie was born and is still black in color. When I research, the black color always seems to be related to disease transmitted by water snails. I do have a few Japanese Trap Door snails to help with algae control but the pond is not overrun with them. Can the fish be healthy and still remain black for a period of time? I'd say this little guy is about 1.5-2 inches long. It eats well and interacts well, no sign of distress that I can see. Thanks guys and look forward to feedback from this community!
Carla
some goldfish are just black in color, I used to keep a 20 gallon tank of feeder fish for restocking a little foutnian with goldfish I used to have, some of them would stay black for their whole lives, just like right now I have a 100 precent withe golfish, they arent always orange :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Carla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whew, thanks so much for that positive response on the black ones. I tested the water today and it was all good. Here are some pics of my wee pond. I’ve spent 15 years getting good eco balance. I built it with the help of a you g guy helping dig it out and slowly hauling in rock. I keep a bit of netting over it because I live near a creek and lots of wildlife and birds of prey. That little bit seems to work ok. Love my fish!

Attachments

• CA91017D-1649-493E-B93C-A40B92D6A926.jpeg
    CA91017D-1649-493E-B93C-A40B92D6A926.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 97

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States