Black goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6 fish born in my pond One Comet always been red /white. But I have 5 all 3/5 year old. They are still black with one having a hint that it may be changing colour. Is this natural

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

Yes, it is very common for goldfish to change colors, and they might do it several times. I have about 7 or 8 babies in my pond. The oldest one (from last year) is still dark, but several of the fry from this year are changing. Here is one that is solid orange, one that is a mix, and one that has no color. The white one went from black to mottled orange to its current color. And the rest are still dark.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes it is perfectly normal. I have some stay black for over 5 yrs and then I look and see they are slowly changing to either oj, white or pinkish or yellowish. I love all the different colors! I have not ever had any stay black for 10 yrs or more. I kinda wish that some would have stayed black.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a little school of black fish, all sizes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
going on my 10th year and I have gf born 9 years ago that are still black. After the 'herd' grew up over the first couple of years (100 gf), I had almost 30% black, 30% oj, 20% shubunkin and 20% white. Now, I only have a handful of the original black ones left and they're all over 8". I rather like seeing the black ones mixing with the other colors. I've found they'll change either very quickly or over a season, gradually turning golden from the bottom up. I actually wish some would STAY in this half-morph stage as I like the black/oj combo--adds more variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
going on my 10th year and I have gf born 9 years ago that are still black. After the 'herd' grew up over the first couple of years (100 gf), I had almost 30% black, 30% oj, 20% shubunkin and 20% white. Now, I only have a handful of the original black ones left and they're all over 8". I rather like seeing the black ones mixing with the other colors. I've found they'll change either very quickly or over a season, gradually turning golden from the bottom up. I actually wish some would STAY in this half-morph stage as I like the black/oj combo--adds more variety.

The black Ranchu are my favorite and the breeder said it was the hardest to sell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't used to like my black gf as there were too many but now, they set off the others nicely. I only have comets and shubunkins, nothing fancy like ranchu. Seems like you might get some deals from your breeder, then, hey? :)

Ask a Question