Black koi

sequoiafish

The wierder the better
Reaction score
Does any one have koi that are mostly black or all black , please post comments and any photos.thanks:coolgleema:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have 2 black koi they have orange pin stripes on the eadge of the fins ,when i first got the koi it was clear ,and then turned black 1 of them is a baby that just showed up.. I will try to get a pic

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
In the beginning of Koi, all of them were black. They have evolved over time and breeding to develop the colors. Now days, it is rare to see one that is completly black.

sequoiafish

The wierder the better
Reaction score
So there is not a chance that someone here has one solid black koi? If not then alll well ill settle for koi with the dominant color black.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
I had a black koi once. Actually I beleive that it was more of what the japanese would call the "magoi". I think it was introduced here in the Philippines but eventually flourished and became adept at existing here. Even most people here consider it as indigenous in the area. It was black and could grow real big. A man's thigh would be average. Anyway, maybe within the month I might be able to acquire another black koi. But it wasn't totally black like a "karasu" or the one I previously described; rather it was black from top view but if viewed from say, an aquarium, it has a copper like color from the sides. The seller told me it was a "chagoi", but I don't totally buy into it yet. I do like the fish though.

Reaction score
I THINK we have black koi in our backyard pond (my mom's pond). All of the fish in our pond are supposed to be koi, my mom bought them and they were advertised as koi. We have about 7 black ones. They're babies of the fish we had bought. At first, when they were babies, they were black and we thought they'd change to a brighter color, but now they're grown and are still black. The thing is, though, they look black when in the water but out of the water they're... not. Here's some pictures.
2wmf3fc.jpg

2m7vjg1.jpg

sqo3z9.jpg

297dw4.jpg

Reaction score
I have one that is black with a light gold head and tips of her fins. very pretty. I actually caught her this weekend, she was spawning and flipped over the divide into my pump/skimmer area with another koi. I should have taken a picture then. I will try to net her and get a photo for you.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
flamingradio said:
I THINK we have black koi in our backyard pond (my mom's pond). All of the fish in our pond are supposed to be koi, my mom bought them and they were advertised as koi. We have about 7 black ones. They're babies of the fish we had bought. At first, when they were babies, they were black and we thought they'd change to a brighter color, but now they're grown and are still black. The thing is, though, they look black when in the water but out of the water they're... not. Here's some pictures.
2wmf3fc.jpg

2m7vjg1.jpg

sqo3z9.jpg

297dw4.jpg

I believe that this carp is a CHAGOI... what do the resident doctors think?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There is nothing to convince me that the balck fish shown are Koi. First of all, they are missing the telltale barbells on the mouth edges.

BBK

Reaction score
I also noticed there were no visible barbels. All koi have them.

It looks like it may be a hybrid comet + koi

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I have black koi. I will post pics tomorrow. Personally...I dislike them. Am I supposed to like them? LOL

They are about 12"-18" and there are at least 3 or 4 of them. As my water is murky at the moment (the joys of "inheiriting" a pond! LOL) they are even less impressive.

Ask a Question