Black koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you want to see your black koi, make it the only koi in your pond full of goldfish. You can't miss him/her then! (I think ours is a she - that extra large girth thing we've already discussed.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tooooooooooooo many black fish I started with a black and gold scaled outlined and a black orange scaled outline. the gold is male and is called viper a very aggressive fish in mating season. he is in the little pool waiting for a free ride back to the koi shop. He has spawned countless generations some look just like him while others are just black with the silver armor pattern kinda beautiful when they grow to full size but for not there's just too many. all in all i think i have about 12 black babbles from 8 inches to 3. you can see some in the videos.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well here's that old saying be careful what you ask for. Ii just got home after being away and it seems the cistern's pump loosened and was not pushing water up to the pond. this kept the little pool from getting the needed water as the evaporation was happening and the 2" of water drop from the pond to the negative edge was fluctuating. so as the pump sucked the water out of the little pool and pushed it to the pond it would draw in air as it emptied little pool or shites creek .Un till the 2" drop replenished the pump. and so forth and so on. unfortunately i had The black fish viper and 5 of his babies a couple really were good looking fish but i'm trying to get away from the black. They ended up not making it as the water level dropped. amazingly a gold fish did though, think he just got named Lucky . This is the first setback in four years and seeing as the pond has basically been on it's own, i guess i can't bitch too much i just wish i had got them to the dealer sooner. Good news is the bog seemed to take care of the extreme bio load everyone in the pond looks ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
don’t get down, you have plenty of babbles going on when you are on here
HEY! I'm not doing this all on my own, don'tcha know! SOMEONE has to give YOU and GB credit, too!

Keeping me on my toes, jhn, no doubt about that!

heh heh

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Bummer @GBBUDD . When we have fish go overboard (always the goldfish... never a shubbie or koi, oddly) I'm always glad we have some water above the rocks in the rain exchange. Even a few inches can sustain them until they get rescued.

We weren't so lucky this year during spawning - one hapless goldie went over the edge and landed in the rocks... found her the next day. I wonder if her last thought was "well at least he can't get at me here!" It's never fun to lose a fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The water cress Grew so fast and so dense in two short weeks, it backed up the stream. This raised the stream 6 inches where it over flowed. Needless to say there is very little water cress left i have pulled out three wheel barrels full.
As i have said before I rarely test my water. I let the pond and the fish tell me something is not right. And having lost 5 fish and seeing the algae explosion I didn't need a test tube to tell me my levels were high. Viper " the largest KOI of the 5 was about 20" There was little more then bones and slime left by the time i returned and found them after two weeks. The fish were also not swimming around like normal, they were very slow and not darting all around the pond.
So i called the Pool water truck and had him bring me 6,000 gallons for a water change. I raked loose what ever pockets of algae had bloomed as i know when that big a water change is done the water chemistry will change and the algae will die off . Not wanting that I stirred up as much as I could while I pumped out the 6,000 gallons with a 12,000 gph pump it didn't take very long.
This morning I have found the fish swimming around as normal darting all over swimming out to dead pool chasing each other. And the water is back to being crystal clear. Lesson learned.....

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Lesson learned.....
If your a koi don’t end up sh@#s creek, without a paddle…

That stinks that you lost a few fish, glad all the rest are ok though, and the pond is back to normal.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1632071846260.gif
@Shalendra

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey there, @Shalendra! Hello and welcome! since you’re new, why not go over to our “introductions “ topic and tell us a little about yourself and your pond! Would love to see pics, especially of the koi!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Black koi are supposed to be good luck. I ordered 2 from Japan, very small. One ended up turning bronze, the other developed white fins and tail.
I am curious how does one order fish from Japan? I am not a Koi fan but I've recently become obsessed with different variations of Shubunkins, comets, watonai and Watkin (pond goldfish). I've read that goldfish breeding is much more prestigious there whereas here in America we only see koi. I bet they have some amazing pond goldfish in Japan! Any breeders you might know of koi and goldfish in Japan? Suggestions as to how to find them?

Ask a Question