Black marks on common comets

Reaction score
I noticed that my two comets have developed black lines between their eyes and gill slits. I noticed it on one side on one comet a couple days ago. I figured I would watch it and see what happened as I know fish can change color. Maybe he was developing black pattern marks. Today, I noticed that it now has it on both sides and the other comet has it on one side. The Sarassa shows no sign of it yet. My water is crystal clear, parameters normal except PH is 8.2 and water is hard. (comes like that from the well) I have had a little string algae, but not enough to even bother with. I tried to take pictures but the batteries are dead in my camera. I put them on the charger, but won't have them available until tomorrow. The fish are active as usual. No noticed flashing. Eating ravenously. (As is the Sarassa) Not gasping at the surface for air. I have a waterfall and a spitter for aeration. Water level is down a few inches in the past couple days due to a small leak in filter line. (Haven't been able to fix it as I have been under the weather my self.) Last water change was about 4-5 days ago. No more than 10%. I have done some research, the nearest I see would be black spot, except these are not spots but lines about 3/8 of an inch long and 1/16of an inch wide. Kinda comma shaped, parallel to the gill slits.

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time trying to get pictures this afternoon. Do to reflections on the water and the fact that the silly fish won't pose:nono:, I wasn't able to get any decent pix. I was however able to get a very close look at the fish. (We're talking my face a couple inches from the water and the fish coming to the surface. Good thing my neighbors weren't watching :biggrin: The black areas do appear to look like black smudges. (Irregular borders, possibly multiple spots connected, no indentations or raised surface) No tiny black specks on body as I've seen pictures of black spot disease. ( I do have a lot of birds that use my bottom spillway as their "spa" but I have no snails) No black areas on fins as would be with ammonia burn. ( I did have the expected algae bloom a week ago, but levels tested normal) My main concern is that it is so close to the gills. I'm open to any and all ideas and recommendations! Here is the best pix I came up with. Do you think it's enough of a concern to net the fish for pix? I don't want to stress them needlessly.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Those black snails are nearly impossible to get rid of. That said, this is not the place for this discussion. These posts may be removed.

Ask a Question