Black snakes

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Was out on my deck checking the ponds and was wondering why there was tubing on the side of the pond. Then I noticed the tubing was moving! By the time I got down there, the tubing was gone. The bog is completely overgrown so not going in there. Hoping the snake will not go in the pond but is after the frogs in the bog. Had a snake get caught in the excess netting last week, not sure what species. Do black snakes swim and will they they eat fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought they only ate mice and stuff but good :question: never thought about it .I use window screening on my pond no frog legs can get caught in it and advantage is you can buy it with uv protector in it .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If it's shiny black like tubing you really shouldn't have much to worry about. All solid black snakes that naturally occur in the US are non-venomous. Your frogs MIGHT be in a little danger, a sick fish or a fish that is still near the shore MIGHT become food as well. But will they directly go after your fish. ONLY very rarely. most snakes that are black that I can think of are usually after rodents or amphibians/ other reptiles.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I went down to the pond there was no sign of the snake but the plant in thebog were moving so I guess I know where the snake was. Moved all the netting up so as not to snag him and the fish were not stressed so so far so good.l

Ask a Question