Bladder or broken back?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I notice my koi laying on the bottom and struggling to swim, mostly on it left side.
I brought him inside to my aquarium and raised the temp to 25C.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
He's definitely struggling... poor thing. Hopefully someone has an idea or can offer some help. He looks good in all other respects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know what's wrong, but it's possible he banged into the side of the pond and has some type of neurological issue. I've also read where stray currents of electricity can cause this.

I think you're doing the right thing, give him some time and see if it improves. Make sure you've plenty aeration.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
What would be the humane way to put him down?
Laying on his side breathing heavily at the moment, i know its horrible to think of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oil of clove can be used to humanly euthanize fish. I've read some experts prefer to anesthetize the fish with the clove oil, followed by freezing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I’m no fish doc but it does appear he does not have control back there at all. Breathing looks not so good. If it were mine, I wouldn’t wait too much longer. Don’t know about the clove oil but wrapped tightly in a towel and then freezer. It doesn’t take long. Sucks I know but also gives you a chance to investigate closer. What happened and what if anything can I do to prevent it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Hmmm. How does one administer this? Would not anbusal or other toothache relief containing benzocaine have the same effect? Also sorry about your fish. Did it make it through the night? Any abrasions or other obvious trauma indicators?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hmmm. How does one administer this? Would not anbusal or other toothache relief containing benzocaine have the same effect? Also sorry about your fish. Did it make it through the night? Any abrasions or other obvious trauma indicators?

Still the exact same. Swims around a bit then settle on his side. Always on the left, if that means anything.
I did add sinking pellets and is eating them. I'll give it 3 more days and figure something out.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I completely forgot to mention that the koi made a full recovery. Obliviously a swim bladder condition i guess. Had it inside the tank for 1 week with no signs of improvement. I couldn't bare euthanase so i just brought him back to the pond to die natural, well i hoped. 2-3 week later back to 100%.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you decided to wait as it turned out to be the right thing this time. I hear feeding them shelled cooked peas helps w/that disorder if it happens again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I completely forgot to mention that the koi made a full recovery. Obliviously a swim bladder condition i guess. Had it inside the tank for 1 week with no signs of improvement. I couldn't bare euthanase so i just brought him back to the pond to die natural, well i hoped. 2-3 week later back to 100%.
I had an angel fish in my tropical aquarium that struggled like that for 2 weeks. Every time I went to catch her she managed to quickly dive to the bottom so I just waited for her to tire her out before I was going to euthanize her.
She also eventually came back 100% and I've since been feeding a more varied diet to everyone, hopefully to prevent a similar problem in the future.

Ask a Question