'blanket' for container pond?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi there! I have several container ponds I set up this year that are thriving, and I want to try to keep them outside until the end of October up here in zone 5. Is there anything I can use as a sort of 'blanket' at night to keep the pond warmer? Obviously it would need a small air hole...anyhow, thanks :) (PS...the fish I am keeping are hardy to the low 40's Fahrenheit) Edit; almost forgot...the container ponds are above ground

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
you could put a black barrel or something around, black to absorb heat.

Use something Black to put around it.

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe a large trash bag with a small hole in it?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe a large trash bag with a small hole in it?
you could just wrap (sideways) trashbags around it with a 5" hole in the top, or put spare blankets/newspaper In the trashbags (if you wanna go big time) and wrap the trashbags around it, then cover the top with just an empty trash bag with a hole.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those attic stair insulation kits come to mind .Since I installed one on my attic stairs it does not allow heat or cold transfer

Reaction score
Country
United States
What size containers? More specifically how many gallons do they hold?

I have kept goldfish in a 65 gallon stock tank in colder weather (even during the winter in Northeast Ohio) I use a round pond de-icer and cover most of the top of the tank with a piece of plywood (weighed down with bricks) I also had the tank up against the side of my house with a bale of straw on the other side to help insulate it. Never even had the top of the water ice over even during the coldest of weather.

It wasn't the prettiest but it worked to keep my fish alive. This year I upgraded the tank to a 150 gallon and moved it away from the house. My hubby promises me he is going to build a wooden box around the tank and fill in with insulation so I don't have to go the straw bale route anymore. We shall see...

Ask a Question