Blanket weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have so much blanket weed in my pond I keep thinning it out as much as I can but seem to be fighting a loosing battle. I don’t really want to go to the extreme of draining the pond and re painting it etc. I have around a dozen fish in the pond and a filter with fountain. Can anyone please advise how I can get rid of the weed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Not sure exactly what you are referring to.
Is it string algae or a biofilm covering everything?

String algae can be manually removed using a toilet brush.

Biofilm is a healthy coating that supplements your filtration. Sometimes in the Spring it can seem a bit overwhelming, but will dissipate once the pond's ecology has cycled.

Both are nature's way of offsetting excess nutrients in your pond. This can happen, as I said in the Spring, but also if your fish load is too much for your filter to handle.

How can you cure it? Add lots of plants to compete with the algae. Starve it out. And make sure your filter is adequate.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1622043622231.gif
and welcome @Will
If it's like a short carpet type of algae just covering your liner then you want to keep that as it is good for your pond and fish. If it's long stringy stuff taking over the top and middle just floating around loosely then you will just have to keep fishing it out. A brand new clean toilet brush attached perhaps to a long handle will help. More plants in your pond will compete w/the algae and maybe keep it at bay.

Ask a Question