Bleaching of pond plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I set up a small pond a couple of years back which has now stabilised nicely. Nothing fancy, just some plants, irises and whatever has decided to make a home there. The water is crystal clear and the plants were thriving until recently when I noticed that many of the appear to be going white, as if they are being bleached. See the attached pics. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20220702_092158.jpg

20220702_093148.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you add any nutrients? Is the pond in full sun? Any chemicals or yard run-off that could have gotten in the water? Just trying to come up with ideas.
Thanks for thinking on this: - no nutrients added. The pond gets sun for half a day in mid summer, mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Less in winter. No chemical run-off, we are away a lot so it is generally left to look after itself. Not aware that anything got into the water, but as all the bugs and snails seem to be content and the water is so clear I am assuming that nothing harmful got in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Lack of nitrogen can turn plants very pale. Without fish, there is nothing in your pond to replenish nutrients as the plants use them so you’ll need to regularly be adding aquatic plant fertilizer to keep them growing and healthy. Even with fish, it’s still possible to develop iron and trace mineral deficiencies. My pond had no detectable iron a year after setup, but since I’ve been adding iron weekly all of my plants have returned to their dark green healthy state after having stopped growing and changing color.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lack of nitrogen can turn plants very pale. Without fish, there is nothing in your pond to replenish nutrients as the plants use them so you’ll need to regularly be adding aquatic plant fertilizer to keep them growing and healthy. Even with fish, it’s still possible to develop iron and trace mineral deficiencies. My pond had no detectable iron a year after setup, but since I’ve been adding iron weekly all of my plants have returned to their dark green healthy state after having stopped growing and changing color.
Thanks @Criscar , that makes sense - I have not put any fertlizer in the pond since I established it a couple of years back so I have ordered some. I will let you know what happens. This is in line with the article that @Mmathis pointed me towards, which is encouraging. BTW - I tested the pH today, it came in around 8, so very slightly alkaline. We are on chalk here, so all the water is pretty alkaline.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Thanks @Criscar , that makes sense - I have not put any fertlizer in the pond since I established it a couple of years back so I have ordered some. I will let you know what happens. This is in line with the article that @Mmathis pointed me towards, which is encouraging. BTW - I tested the pH today, it came in around 8, so very slightly alkaline. We are on chalk here, so all the water is pretty alkaline.
There are a few aquatic plant species that prefer a lower Ph but many of us here our ponds are stable at around 8.0 or a bit higher and our plants are thriving.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With no fish no fertilizers its a matter of time before deficiencies set in and plants start to suffer.

Ask a Question