Bloated fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have 900 gallon pond, split into two by a small stream, one large pond, one smaller. I have just read the post re bloated fish from March 19. I too have several fish now that are getting very bloated, one fan tailed goldfish in particular whose body has now become distorted it is so huge. I do not use chemicals and have a good filter system. The pond and most of the fish are over fifteen years old and I have not had this problem before. I don't know if it was a typo but the other post said used 'peas and pond salts'. Peas? A friend advised using epsom salts. I'd be very grateful for some advice please.

Attachments

• P1070627.JPG
    P1070627.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 192
  • P1070639.JPG
    P1070639.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 195
  • P1070639.JPG
    P1070639.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF - I'm sorry that it's fish trouble that brings you here.

Peas are often recommended if it's suspected that fish are constipated. But your fish (from the photos anyway) appear to be pineconing - the scales are standing away from the body like a pinecone. That's usually a sign of dropsy in a fish. Dropsy in itself isn't a disease, but a symptom of a number of things - parasitic or bacterial infections. By the time it reaches this stage, sadly, it can be impossible to treat.

How many fish are in your 900 gallon pond? You say you have a "good" filtration system - can you be more specific? And please know that we hear all.the.time "I've had this same pond/set up/fish for years without any problems". Well the one factor that HAS changed is the size of your fish. They continue to grow (and potentially multiply in number) which puts a greater bioload on your pond and more stress on your filtration.

Do you have a water test kit? That's the only way to know for sure that your pond is functioning the way it needs to. How do the remaining fish look?

Sorry for so many questions, but the more information you share, the more useful the advice you get will be!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

The more information the better we can help you.

Ask a Question