Bloated goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a goldfish in my outdoor pond, along with Koi's, that is extremely bloated. It's been like that for months. It's eating fine and swimming fine but is hugh. Yesterday I noticed 2 other goldfish starting to do the same thing. This morning I noticed one of my Shubunkins is looking the same way. I've been feeding them fall and spring Koi food, since it's still cold out, along with Multigrain Cheerios. I'm going to cut back on the Cheerio's but I don't know what's going on. The pond is about 17 x 14 and 4 1/2 feet deep. Water is clear, good filtration system. I've never had anything like this before and this pond is 23 years old. Any info would be appreciated. (sorry about the netting, lost too many fish to crane's/Blue Heron?)

Attachments

• 20190316_104925.jpg
    20190316_104925.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 510
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 649
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 561
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 606
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello and welcome to the GPF! Sorry that it's some fish trouble that's brought you here.

Your pond (based on your dimensions) is over 7000 gallons - does that sound right? How many fish are in your pond? Are they all goldfish? Have these fish all been in the pond all along or have you added any new ones recently?

A few additional questions - do the fish appear to be "pine coning"? Are the scales sticking up from their bodies? It's hard to tell from the picture. Do you test your water? If so, what are the numerical readings that you're getting. (Clear water is not necessarily a sign of healthy water.) Do you add any chemicals or additives to the pond - water treatment or bacteria? What's the water temperature? Where are you located? (You should feed based on the water temperature - not the air temperature, just to be clear.) What kind of filtration do you have on your pond? Have you made any changes or done anything recently other than start feeding the fish?

And I would stop the Cheerios altogether forever - there's literally no nutritional value in them for your fish (or humans either for that matter). I'm not sure where the idea came from to feed pond fish Cheerios, but I think it's a idea that lacks any merit.

Lots of questions - sorry! But the more information we have the better we can address your question!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had success in reversing this with peas and salt baths just use caution with the salt baths you have to pull the fish sometimes that stress is enough to take them out. Follow the instructions on the pond salt bottle I don't even take the fish out of the net he just stays in the net and I put the net in a small container of his own pond water Plus salt. Cover so he can't jump he's only going to be in there for 3 to 5 minutes I think but make sure you read the salt bottle for how long . This treatment does a reverse osmosis and allows the fish to release the fluid the salt in the water pulls the fluid from the fish relieving it. It also helps if it's got fungus or parasites. This doesn't work for all fish but I have saved a few fish this way good luck.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Fishymom- Have you been feeding your fish all winter? Where are you located at? Feeding below 50 degrees is not recommended as the fish cannot digest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just do not leave him in the saltwater too long it will kill him. I usually did the minimum which I think was 3 minutes and then I would put him back in the pond. I would do that two or three times a day until the bloating would go away and if he's eating feed him peas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's difficult to see clearly in the picture if there is any "pine coning". I was initially tempted to think this fish was egg bound, but then you mentioned two other gold fish and a shubunkin showing similar symptoms.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@fishymom I've had a couple goldfish do that and live for years but eventually they did die. One actually got eaten by a raccoon. Now I've got one that is sorta fat and crooked. I am just going to see what happens to it and let nature takes it course. It eats and swims around like nothing is wrong. Well not feeding it right now as temps still low but it nibbles on algae like the others do. Sounds like you have several w/this problem. Guess you could try the salt bath and peas and see what happens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all your input folks. I have been feeding all winter. The fish act hungry when I go down to the pond so I feed them. I'll admit I may be feeding them too much and will stop. And no more Cheerio's. I can't really catch the fish to do a salt treatment so I'll just hold off on the feedings and let nature take it's course and see what happens. I keep the net over the pond because I have been wiped out by large birds, Heron or cranes, not sure what they are. We live outside San Antonio TX. I thank you all for your comments and will keep you posted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Fishymom- Have you been feeding your fish all winter? Where are you located at? Feeding below 50 degrees is not recommended as the fish cannot digest.
I have been feeding my fish all winter. But a mixture of Fall and Spring mix and floating pond sticks. The water temp was 54 this morning. I've stopped feeding them Cheerio's and I'm going to let nature takes it's course and see what happens. My hopes are that I'm just a bad mom in the sense that I over fed them. We'll see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the GPF! Sorry that it's some fish trouble that's brought you here.

Your pond (based on your dimensions) is over 7000 gallons - does that sound right? How many fish are in your pond? Are they all goldfish? Have these fish all been in the pond all along or have you added any new ones recently?

A few additional questions - do the fish appear to be "pine coning"? Are the scales sticking up from their bodies? It's hard to tell from the picture. Do you test your water? If so, what are the numerical readings that you're getting. (Clear water is not necessarily a sign of healthy water.) Do you add any chemicals or additives to the pond - water treatment or bacteria? What's the water temperature? Where are you located? (You should feed based on the water temperature - not the air temperature, just to be clear.) What kind of filtration do you have on your pond? Have you made any changes or done anything recently other than start feeding the fish?

And I would stop the Cheerios altogether forever - there's literally no nutritional value in them for your fish (or humans either for that matter). I'm not sure where the idea came from to feed pond fish Cheerios, but I think it's a idea that lacks any merit.

Lots of questions - sorry! But the more information we have the better we can address your question!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had success in reversing this with peas and salt baths just use caution with the salt baths you have to pull the fish sometimes that stress is enough to take them out. Follow the instructions on the pond salt bottle I don't even take the fish out of the net he just stays in the net and I put the net in a small container of his own pond water Plus salt. Cover so he can't jump he's only going to be in there for 3 to 5 minutes I think but make sure you read the salt bottle for how long . This treatment does a reverse osmosis and allows the fish to release the fluid the salt in the water pulls the fluid from the fish relieving it. It also helps if it's got fungus or parasites. This doesn't work for all fish but I have saved a few fish this way good luck.
I'm not going to go this route but I thank you for the information. I'm not feeding them while it's still cold and no more Cheerio's. Again, thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States

I am new to this forum. I had written and answered all your questions but not sure where it got posted. Let me know if you got it and if not, I'll try again. I see each individual response and don't know if it goes to that person individually or to everyone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 119225@fishymom I've had a couple goldfish do that and live for years but eventually they did die. One actually got eaten by a raccoon. Now I've got one that is sorta fat and crooked. I am just going to see what happens to it and let nature takes it course. It eats and swims around like nothing is wrong. Well not feeding it right now as temps still low but it nibbles on algae like the others do. Sounds like you have several w/this problem. Guess you could try the salt bath and peas and see what happens.
I have been feeding them all winter. I think that's hopefully the problem and nothing more severe. The water temp was 54 this morning. I've cut out the Cheerio's completely and am holding the feelings until it warms up a bit. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's difficult to see clearly in the picture if there is any "pine coning". I was initially tempted to think this fish was egg bound, but then you mentioned two other gold fish and a shubunkin showing similar symptoms.
No, there doesn't seem to be any pine coning. The scales look smooth. I believe I've been over feeding them. The water temp was 54 this morning but I've been feeding them throughout the winter. Something I shouldn't have been doing. I'm going to let nature take it's course and time will tell. No more Cheerio's either. Thanks.

Ask a Question