Bloated Pond Fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a fish which seems to be extremely bloated. Was wondering if anyone could identify, and perhaps advise the best thing to do.
It has been like this for around a month ago now, which I noticed after cleaning the pond out.
I did wonder if it was pregnant, perhaps egg bound; some form of infection etc.
I did google the problem, I have at present put the fish separate with a small amount of salt and a frozen pea. Any help please (attached photo). Many thanks

Attachments

• 1C976A92-0227-4A0D-BF56-04EF56EE9306.jpeg
    1C976A92-0227-4A0D-BF56-04EF56EE9306.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 144
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It does appear to be egg bound. I believe peas are used for swim bladder issues....perhaps someone with experience will chime in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here's a video about an eggbound goldfish. It's a bit gruesome at parts, but that's what you get with any medical video:

I'm not really sure about his method of treating the fish. It seems like he's going with a naturalistic approach, and I have heard that this isn't always helpful.

I've heard of this condition being treated through hand-breeding (this is a process that should only be done by an experienced hand-breeder), and through epsom salts to draw out fluids.

You do have some light pineconing going on there as j.w said. Dropsy occurs when a goldfish's kidneys start to fail and it is not able to pump fluids out of its body. The kidneys could be failing due to an infection, or, more probably, due to the swelling from the eggbinding putting pressure on the kidneys.

I suggest that the swelling is causing the dropsy and not the other way around simply because the bloating is still so smooth, and because it's been going on for a month. A month would be a long time for a fish with untreated dropsy to survive.

If you can find an exotic vet that treats fish, that may be your best bet. They may be able to push the eggs out through hand-breeding methods, or perhaps surgically remove the eggs.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a video about an eggbound goldfish. It's a bit gruesome at parts, but that's what you get with any medical video:

I'm not really sure about his method of treating the fish. It seems like he's going with a naturalistic approach, and I have heard that this isn't always helpful.

I've heard of this condition being treated through hand-breeding (this is a process that should only be done by an experienced hand-breeder), and through epsom salts to draw out fluids.

You do have some light pineconing going on there as j.w said. Dropsy occurs when a goldfish's kidneys start to fail and it is not able to pump fluids out of its body. The kidneys could be failing due to an infection, or, more probably, due to the swelling from the eggbinding putting pressure on the kidneys.

I suggest that the swelling is causing the dropsy and not the other way around simply because the bloating is still so smooth, and because it's been going on for a month. A month would be a long time for a fish with untreated dropsy to survive.

If you can find an exotic vet that treats fish, that may be your best bet. They may be able to push the eggs out through hand-breeding methods, or perhaps surgically remove the eggs.

Good luck!
Many thanks, very much appreciated. All makes good sense, thanks again

Ask a Question