Blocking Air

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi guys,

I need some help with trying to improve my bog garden.

I built it based on @addy1's design.... a feed from the top of one of the filter barrels, drops straight down into a network of pipes with holes drilled into them, which is covered by a 18" layer of gravel with the plants growing in it.

The filter works fine. The water quality is great.

But... it sounds like a drunk snoring.

The problem is that the intake in the filter barrel sucks in both water and air. The air then gets carried along with the water and gets forced up through the gravel, so it's constantly bubbling.

Any idea how to stop this?

I tried inserting a T piece (open at one end) after the inlet in the hope that the air would rise and escape there, but that also sucked air down.

Any ideas?

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that. This morning I was sitting next to the bog and heard a noise that I couldnt place from the gravel. May be that's the sound of bubbles in the pipe too. DOnt know what to do about it though.
Sorry I couldnt help.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For one thing, most of our bogs don't go through a filter barrel first. In fact, you want the water going to the bog to be unfiltered, directly from the pump. The plants want that unfiltered water for its nutrients.

What some people do, if they want supplemental filtering is to "T" off the pump and run an intake to the bog and a separate intake to the filter barrel.

When I've had my bog turned off for some reason [power outage comes to mind], it will burble and bubble a little bit when it first starts up. I think it is air, but once it runs for a few minutes, that stops.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The problem is that the intake in the filter barrel sucks in both water and air. The air then gets carried along with the water and gets forced up through the gravel, so it's constantly bubbling.
I can't figure out how the piping is getting air and water. If the line is under water it should just get water, unless there is a lot of air in your filter barrel, bubbling up

Ask a Question