Blocks for raising pond plants ?

Reaction score
Trying to work out how to raise marginal plants up in 2ft pond. Can you use breeze or concrete blocks or can they leach chemicals ? Has anyone got any ideas for what can be used.

Thanks guys

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've used red bricks from old houses and never had any problems. They are still in there and have been for years.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got some black milk crates from TRACTOR SUPPLY. I modified them, though. Would post pics but don’t know where to “hunt” for them at the moment. I took out some of the plastic on the sides — wanted to have nice big openings for the fish to swim through [have had some of my larger goldfish get trapped]. Also, sanded all rough/sharp edges for the same reason (and to protect the liner). To keep the pots from sliding off the crate, I made some little brackets with PVC pipe.

OK, went out and took more pics. This was made specifically to hold the WallyWorld “oil pan” lily pots. I had problems with the pots sliding off the crate — brackets zip-tied on prevent that. Also, top of crates would be top-heavy and crates would fall over — zip-tied a heavy pot inside the crate for ballast. May all be overkill, but were good solutions for issues I had.
90FDFF49-6BC8-4FC0-8C13-BD07F6A3F46B.jpeg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Totally forgot about the milk crates and yes cutting out the sides is a must for the poor fish that could get stuck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I had to use something id lean toward chimney flue pipe it's clay and a orangey tan color with round edges they come in different widths and lengths and they can be cut with the right tools.
Pond 5-9-18 (1 of 1)-4.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@GBBUDD that's what we used for our fish cave. It's a great idea - the clay is quickly covered with algae so you can barely tell it's there. And they are flat so they hold planted pots on top very nicely. We did sand our edges as ours is on it's side for the fish to swim in and out and they are a bit rough. My husband wanted to try drilling holes in the sides so they could swim in and out of the holes, too, but I'm not that ambitious!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We got ours at Menards. If I remember correctly ours is a 12" x 12" opening and 24" long, but they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. It was my husband's idea - sometimes he's brilliant! I love the way they grow algae and basically disappear into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They are heavy! It was a challenge getting it into the pond. Definitely a two person job! I got in and my husband handed it over the side. Once it was in the pond it was easy.

Ask a Question