BLOODY DOCK

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is a striking plant, but I'm not having much luck with it. From what I can find, it is mostly a garden plant that adapts to water (bog?) situations. I ordered 2 plants a while back, and planted them per directions (top of pot slightly submerged). They looked good for a few days, then started to look like the "stems" we're rotting. But there was some new growth. So I elevated the pots where they were still in the water, but only the bottom of the pots were submerged. They died.

I recently ordered 3 more. They came out of the shipping pkgs. looking great -- crisp & perky. But as soon as I potted them [took them out of the plastic pots they came in], they went droopy and so far (4-5 days later), they haven't recovered. I have them in pots, again with just the bottoms of the pots in water. They get about 4 hours of sunlight, some AM, some PM. But again, they are starting to put out new growth.

Yesterday I cut off all the droopy leaves, mixed them with mint & rosemary (all from my yard), chopped them up, added turtle food and fed them to the boxies :). Alphie (my little girl, who is also the "tamest" one) ABSOLUTELY LOVED the new food dish! Thought she would never stop eating :)

So, would I do best by forgetting about making the bloody dock work as an aquatic and stick it in the turtle-garden? Understand it can be invasive, but if the turtles like to eat it, I can go either way. Just thought it would look cool as a marginal-type.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought them also at lowes as they grew great in my garden but not in the pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought them also at lowes as they grew great in my garden but not in the pond

As of yesterday afternoon, they were perking up just a bit, and seemed to have put out a lot more new growth since I cut them back. I probably will go ahead and plant them, but will give them a couple more days in the water just to see. Oh, no, I can't do that 'cause I'm leaving town Monday [Michigan trip] -- they might die before I get back, so guess I better plant them sooner rather than later.....

Sissy, do you have a problem with their being invasive?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not so far put I want them to spread out and cover a hill spot .But heard from people that they are invasive in the south ,longer growing season .Mine have only spread about 2 feet on one side the other side I keep trimmed up .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So far, so good. After I trimmed off the cruddy looking leaves, then left for a week :), all 3 plants are at least thriving. New growth, they're just not "taking off," but at least look healthy!

Ask a Question