Blue Heron Cleaned Out My Pond Today

Reaction score
My son texted me a picture (I was at work) on his way to school of a blue heron sitting on our chimney. I came home from work, but it was too late. He ate over 20 goldfish and 10 koi I raised from babies two years ago. Every one gone.. Trying to decide if I want to restock..any advice on herons would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm so sorry. Blue Heron Netting is the best defense.

2013-03-16_10-42-11_27_zps26ecfa99.jpg

You can get it here:

http://vps2836.inmotionhosting.com/...gory_id=30&Itemid=10010&vmcchk=1&Itemid=10010

A video on it.

Good luck

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflowers909.gif
njbill
Sorry for that darn bird getting your fish. A net would be good to use. I'm trying a loud radio on a timer from morning till dark and so far no bird anymore. If he comes back a net will be my last choice as it's hard to get in the pond to work w/ the net there but guess if you raise it up high enough you can get under there. People try the water scarecrows and electric wire too. Blowing wind chime and other twirly things. Planting bushes and plants around the perimeter of the pond. Fences w/ no spaces big enough for the bird to squeeze through. The list goes on and on!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes very sorry to hear about your fish. Much can be done to prevent the BiG BaD bLuE HeRons from making off with the whole school of fish in the future. You can use a net, you can create underwater shelter in the form of rock tunnels, tubes for fish to swim in. I find the Japanese method to be very effective for me, which is to string twine high above the pond and tie thin strips of cloth to the twine, that blow in the wind. I tie the twine from the trees to the roof of house and zig zag back and forth a few times and that will block the big blue herons from landing there to feed. Their wing span is very long and they won't risk landing and get tangled in the twine. The strips of blowing cloth also help scare them off as well. You can tell the neighbors that is fancy new garden art!

tinkerman

tinkerman
Reaction score
Hate it when that happens. Must be nice pond, the heron liked it. In my own experiance I hated the net so placed a couple of black buckets with some access holes cut in the sides in pond for fish to hide in. Biggest problem I had was the holes his beak put in the liner!

Reaction score
Since that post the heron has come back. The good news was that 4the of my largest koi buried themselves in dead leaves and survived the first attack as well as few goldfish. I did lose about half. I made it wider and deeer and restocked.He came back about a week ago. Lost a few goldfish but all koi safe. I put up fishing line grid,rado,and dog cutouts.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If it is still getting any fish don't back off, throw ever suggestion you can to try and chase it off. Once they know there is accessible food they won't give up. I've been surprised so far how little of a problem I have once I went deeper the 30" and straight down sides. I've lost a singled out fish here or there and actually think my losses are from a king fisher or owl. Netting is always a standby for me if I see one around but haven't needed it for almost a year now. Good luck, I know how bad it can be, got cleaned out in my shallower pond at the old house a couple of years ago and it was sickening feeling.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mr heron visits here every summer, I hate netting, but have it up. Choose a wide weave fishing net, hung 3-4 feet over the pond, with a slight drape down to the edge. My pond is deep with straight sides, but mr heron would still go the the side and wait for a fish to swim by, in the deep end.

I like the fishing net, it is not real noticeable.

I had mine treated with black, anti uv coating.

I had some old rusty fence posts to tie it to, need to find something that blends in a little better. With the posts I can raise the fencing high enough to work on the pond without removing the net, i.e. I can get under it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Since that post the heron has come back. The good news was that 4the of my largest koi buried themselves in dead leaves and survived the first attack as well as few goldfish. I did lose about half. I made it wider and deeer and restocked.He came back about a week ago. Lost a few goldfish but all koi safe. I put up fishing line grid,rado,and dog cutouts.
The next thing you should do is get those leaves out of your pond before you get poblems from them.
I use a 6mm hexagonal net over our pond secured by bungee straps which allows the net to be pull tight The holes are that small the heron cant get its beak through to get to the fish.
At 4ft deep he couldnt stand in the pond but if I catch one in the garden a near miss with a high powered catapukt normally would send it packing
I did see a decoy koi and a decoy goldfish that you anchor to the bottom of the pond the heron goes for the decoy fish who look tempting targets giving all the other fish to head low so that Mr Heron cant get at them.

rgds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is one thing I really like it is not at all obvious. It is high enough up I can even get into the pond without messing with it, and the lilies don't get tangled up in it.
My main mama white fish is around 10 inches now, they do show up well, one reason I just leave the net up. The herons fly over all of the time.

Ask a Question