Blue Heron Decoy

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Ok, so if you have a Blue Heron Decoy next to your pond will the koi assume it to be real and stay at the bottom? Reason I ask is I have a very large Bear with a fish in each front paw and am wondering if that may be the reason my koi stay towards the middle to bottom of the pond.

Attachments

• IMG_20110709_205617.jpg
    IMG_20110709_205617.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 316

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Unless your bear (or heron) moves around when you're not looking, I doubt your fish would identify it as a danger to them. It's just another inanimate part of the landscape. John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats true because the fish that I can tell only see movement and react to that .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A decoy which does work, when you want it to is a tethered plastic fish where a heron can find it.

Such decoys have been known to be seen beaten to the ground by the dastardly big bird, struggling to fathom out how to get the rather tough fish and the big dang anchor rock out of the pond

Meanwhile the less than plastic sushi was probably snickering at a safe distance

Regards, andy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing.............will give that a try next year in my heron fight

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe I will put a fake one in the lotus pond where it can reach it easily!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That is a great idea, the fake fish! After all, the heron will focus on the "easy bait" and the live fish will get a chance to get the heck out of the area until the danger is gone. Will be anxious to hear how it works for you, Addy, if you try one next spring, since you have the heron coming on a regular basis. Guess they are gone now for the season? I've not heard much from you lately so hoping your predators have left for the season.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Too funny about the fish Andy! I've got a plastic crab floating around in there right now. If I find a plastic fish I'll have to try that too. The good thing is tho I haven't seen a heron around in a long while. I still say he doesn't like the radio playing on my front porch from dawn to dusk!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a great idea, the fake fish! After all, the heron will focus on the "easy bait" and the live fish will get a chance to get the heck out of the area until the danger is gone. Will be anxious to hear how it works for you, Addy, if you try one next spring, since you have the heron coming on a regular basis. Guess they are gone now for the season? I've not heard much from you lately so hoping your predators have left for the season.

We were in florida for 10 days dealing with renters and helping his parents, haven't been around. The heron came back right before we left, but my pond sitter...........jw did not see it come back again. I still have the deer fencing over the pond, going to remove it as soon as this cold rain goes away.

Yep going to try the plastic fish in the lotus pond ........will be fun to watch and film the bird trying to eat plastic.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will like to see that one addy. Harry eating fake fish........yikes if he swallows it you will have to do surgery on the poor guy,lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some fake koi type fish that you put batteries into and they swim around, tail swishing, I need to see if I can find them

Ask a Question