Blue heron eating our comets

Reaction score
Country
United States
heron didn't bother us much last couple years , as i recall , but ate some really nice comets a week ago . we netted pond for years but not last couple because of lack of heron sightings . would like to protect our fish again but preferably without netting . several years ago i read about someone having a little '''shelter'' in the bottom of pond which fish could get under for protection . do you think that would help save our fish , and is there some ''object'' that would work as a shelter . i wondered about a waste basket laid on its side but don't know if something with access from all four sides would be better . any thoughts on deterring the heron welcome and appreciated . i'd like to put a sheet of clear plastic about three inches under the water for a couple weeks to see if heron would take a '' whack'' at fish and end up with a sore beak and a head ache , wife says no . thanks for your time . . .peace

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
heron didn't bother us much last couple years , as i recall , but ate some really nice comets a week ago . we netted pond for years but not last couple because of lack of heron sightings . would like to protect our fish again but preferably without netting . several years ago i read about someone having a little '''shelter'' in the bottom of pond which fish could get under for protection . do you think that would help save our fish , and is there some ''object'' that would work as a shelter . i wondered about a waste basket laid on its side but don't know if something with access from all four sides would be better . any thoughts on deterring the heron welcome and appreciated . i'd like to put a sheet of clear plastic about three inches under the water for a couple weeks to see if heron would take a '' whack'' at fish and end up with a sore beak and a head ache , wife says no . thanks for your time . . .peace
Those birds have the patience of Job and as long as they can see the fish swimming around they will be back. The fish have to come out of hiding at some point and that bird will stand as still as a statue for ever and ever and they are quick as lightning when the fish come up! I have peace w/my net. I know we don't like to have one but it's all I can do to stop that darn bird! I have my net up high on stakes so I can easily lift it up to do things in the pond. It hangs down and is attached to a short wire fence w/S hooks. It's better than Fort Knox!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with jw not much you can do other than netting.

Fish caves will work, but it takes one getting eaten for them to go hide, decoys and the sprinkler scarecrows get figured out quickly by them.

For the longest time over 20 years I refused to put up a net, but when my turtles started disappearing I just went and put the net up. It is a wide weave 5” and strung up high over the pond with nets that at like a curtain on the side for about 50’, so it can be pulled out of the way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
when we were ''netted'' we came home from church one day to find heron standing in middle of net trying to extract a fish it had caught through the net . thanks for replies . . .peace

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
All I can offer is sympathy. One found my pond last year and he wasn't even afraid of me standing literally just on the other side of the small pond, waving my hands at him. I felt like I was facing off with some kind of small dinosaur. Those eyes were a little creepy. Good luck! I know you will get some good advice on here!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A fish cave would give your fish a chance, but they'd have to basically live there if a heron has you on his/her radar. THEY NEVER FORGET. And as much as I love my fish, one thing I've learned is they aren't all that smart. They will forget about that old bird the second they think there's food to eat. And old Mr. Heron knows that... and so he has learned to mimic food hitting the pond surface by - GET THIS - barfing in your pond!

So yeah. A net is the best answer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Lisak1 I did not know that
eeeew.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
when we were ''netted'' we came home from church one day to find heron standing in middle of net trying to extract a fish it had caught through the net . thanks for replies . . .peace
Yikes, sounds like a case for either a much finer net (one that wouldn’t feel so stable underfoot) or placement higher up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My pond is about 10 x 12. The herons got my fish once about 10 years ago. I started using 2 sun shade sails (10 x 10 each) about 8' high on bamboo frames over the pond, mainly to keep the sun from making the pond like bath water. Not realizing it, I also got 2 bonus uses. One, If I want to sit outside in the shade and read in the afternoon, the shades make that a comfortable area, especially with the waterfall running. Two, I haven't lost one fish since the herons can't see the fish plus the herons haven't tried to get around the frame poles.; the shades are attached to a wooden fence on one side and a low metal fence on one side. There are a few low shrubs nearby though. 3 of my fish are 9 years old. I do remove the shades in late fall. The shades last about 5 years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have found two effective techniques that I use in tandem. First, I have a pump with a fountain head on top that I set up to jet a pretty good stream of water in an arc that lands at the mouth of the fish cave. Second, I keep a football by my back door and throw it at the heron whenever I see it. I haven't hit it yet, but they don't seem to like projectiles, especially in ponds when they're already having a hard time getting fish due to the cave/fountain combo.

The heron comes by much less often now that I use these methods, and I haven't lost a fish in three years. And one of these days, I WILL hit the heron. Then I can die happy, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
since the herons can't see the fish plus the herons haven't tried to get around the frame poles.

They do avoid more closed in areas generally speaking - they like a good wide open take off and landing opportunity. I think that's one reason they've never landed in our yard even though they fly over a dozen times a day between our natural ponds in the neighborhood. One sat on my neighbor's roof and looked at our pond for a week straight one time - never attempted a landing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My ponds are all a wide open landing strip. They love to visit.

Ask a Question