Blue rush cut back?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didnt cut mine back last year in the spring, they didnt really die back at all there was just dried stalks throughout the plants. Does anyone cut them completely back in spring to grow back fresh? If so do they grow in less because so? The second year plants are getting to a good size but I would love the to not have the dried dead pieces mixed in. I could trim them out individually but it would take a week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didnt cut mine back last year in the spring, they didnt really die back at all there was just dried stalks throughout the plants. Does anyone cut them completely back in spring to grow back fresh? If so do they grow in less because so? The second year plants are getting to a good size but I would love the to not have the dried dead pieces mixed in. I could trim them out individually but it would take a week.
I agree it would take a week and that stuff grows so fast I have tried two experiments in the main bog I weed whacked ALL of it to 3" tall and then used a blow torch to clean up the leaves and dead blades.
around the pond I selectively burned the dead stuff out . I'll find out if that was a good idea or if it was a deal breaker. one thing to do know those root tips are so sharp they concern me puncturing the rubber. it had no problem going through 8 oz non wovenfabric. I won't be heart broken if it all dies and I need to find a replacedment.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got rid of my rush, it was taking over. Took a bit and a pitch fork to get it out. Actually broke one pitchfork doing it, had to get another.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I cut it all down. I only have it on the edge of the pond so the roots are in between large rocks and the liner, I have moved them around before by just moving the rocks and picking it all up, the roots make a mat, I havent seen anything looking like it would go through the liner yet. I dont have any in the bog.
What an idea to burn it out, thats a pretty good plan, I may use that in areas with leaves next fall!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've cut mine back, I've dug a big chunk of it out (took the better part of a day) and I've also just thinned it out by puling out all the dead stalks. My approach depends on the location and how much I need to get rid of. It does bear watching as it will take over if you let it. The stand I have to deal with this year planted itself... why I let it go this long is beyond me!

Ask a Question