Boated gold fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpeg
I have a goldfish that earlier this spring started fattening up. I figured it was just pregnant. Past couple days it really started swelling up and this morning it was so swollen that it was swimming upside down. Not sure how to tell the difference between porcupine scales and scales that are just extended because of being so bloated? I did water change this spring and my water currently test fine. No other fish currently appears to have the same issue. I isolated the fish from all the others and added air ration to the tank. But perhaps, based on what I have read about swimmers bladder, I should not have air ration in the tank? This fish is the largest and oldest that I have in my pond, at least 10 years if not longer. I have read about a fish being egg bound, but not sure how to tell if this is the case? Not sure if you can tell from the picture but there does seem to be a heavy film or mucus over, what I guess is it's rectum? HELP!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That certainly appears to be 'Dropsy' which is caused by kidney failure which, in turn, is usually caused by an internal bacterial infection.
Now that medicated food is no longer legally available without a vet's approval, your only option would be to quarantine the fish in a salt bath of 0.2%. Note: This will only alleviate some of the stress that the fish is under.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That certainly appears to be 'Dropsy' which is caused by kidney failure which, in turn, is usually caused by an internal bacterial infection.
Now that medicated food is no longer legally available without a vet's approval, your only option would be to quarantine the fish in a salt bath of 0.2%. Note: This will only alleviate some of the stress that the fish is under.
I didn't know that about medicated food.....! When did that become effective?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I didn't know that about medicated food.....! When did that become effective?

January 1 of this year. Even aquaculture facilities (which I think are the real target of this rule) must get a vet's stamp of approval before they can obtain any anti-biotic medication.
I am guessing that the purpose is to reduce over- and unnecessary medication that will only lead to more resistant pathogen species.
There may be some still available on the internet, but you can bet that the inventory was procured before January 1 and is therefore 6 months old.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any aspect of poor water quality, including high Ammonia, can certainly weaken a fish and compromise it's immune system. The opens the fish up infection by many aquatic pathogens- bacterial, viral and parasitic. Although Ammonia poisoning may weaken a fish, it is not the direct cause of Dropsy (fish edema).
Dropsy is typically caused by either Aeromonas or Pseudomonas bacteria. Rarely is the cause viral,

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any aspect of poor water quality, including high Ammonia, can certainly weaken a fish and compromise it's immune system. The opens the fish up infection by many aquatic pathogens- bacterial, viral and parasitic. Although Ammonia poisoning may weaken a fish, it is not the direct cause of Dropsy (fish edema).
Dropsy is typically caused by either Aeromonas or Pseudomonas bacteria. Rarely is the cause viral,
What can I do to prevent any more of my fish to get it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
When is the last time that your tested your basic water quality parameters?
If you don't already have a test kit, I would strongly suggest that you order one (API Master Test Kit) on-line ASAP.
You need to pinpoint the issue before you can correct it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When is the last time that your tested your basic water quality parameters?
If you don't already have a test kit, I would strongly suggest that you order one (API Master Test Kit) on-line ASAP.
You need to pinpoint the issue before you can correct it.
Nitrites, nitrates and ph are all good. My test kit doesn't do ammonia.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Define "good". Need the numeric values. Is this a liquid kit or test strips?

Also a little basic information:
-Size of pond (gallons)
-Number of fish.
-Level of filtration
-Pump size (GPH)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Define "good". Need the numeric values. Is this a liquid kit or test strips?

Also a little basic information:
-Size of pond (gallons)
-Number of fish.
-Level of filtration
-Pump size (GPH)
Using Test strips
Nitrites and nitrates almost 0
Ph 7.5
280 gallon pond
950 GPH PUMP that pumps to a tetra pond gravity biological filter with uv light and to a waterfall.
Same setup as I have been using for years.
Using "pure aquatics" floating pellet summer food.
Have close to 30 fish. Yes, I know that is to many! Have not had the heart to get rid of any. But I guess it is time!

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Using Test strips
Nitrites and nitrates almost 0
Ph 7.5
280 gallon pond
950 GPH PUMP that pumps to a tetra pond gravity biological filter with uv light and to a waterfall.
Same setup as I have been using for years.
Using "pure aquatics" floating pellet summer food.
Have close to 30 fish. Yes, I know that is to many! Have not had the heart to get rid of any. But I guess it is time!
what about ammonia? nitrites & nitrates are totally different it would be nice to have the pinpointed number of those rather than the "about" because you should have 0 ammonia and nitrites with about (avrg) 10ppm nitrates regularly in a controlled pond (in my view)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and, if subjected to humid conditions, a very short shelf life If, indeed, you are detecting a Nitrite presence then you can bet that you also have Ammonia. Is it high enough to cause problems? Need accurate numeric values to positively determine if it is or not.
And YES, you have too many fish for the level of filtration that presently exists.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and, if subjected to humid conditions, a very short shelf life If, indeed, you are detecting a Nitrite presence then you can bet that you also have Ammonia. Is it high enough to cause problems? Need accurate numeric values to positively determine if it is or not.
And YES, you have too many fish for the level of filtration that presently exists.
I will get a good test kit as suggested. I did a partial water change tonight, figured at this point couldn't hurt anything.

Ask a Question