Body Rot? Ulcer? Pics Attached

Reaction score
Evening People, hope you can help.

Had my pond about 4 years now, only a small corner garden pond approx 50 gallons, 4 year old pic attached! Its matured very nice now!

Anyway our goldfish has a problem, had a few white / missing scales towards it tail for a few months now, I treated the pond with medifin incase there were a few nastys lurking around! But now it has progressed into a sore / ulcer / missing scales (pic attached) I thought at first it was as the fish have been spawning and the goldfish always get chased / nipped etc during the season!

I have circled the worse parts, doesnt look as bad on the pics (probs as its a iphone camera!) n1472815198_30152795_545237.jpg44.jpgIMG_0390.JPG

Now we had a similar problem a couple years back and lost a few fish thanks to our local pond / garden centre mis-diagnosing the problem, they told me it was bacterial and it turned out to be a parasite, so we had to treat the fish with Sterazin P in a hospital tank as by this time autum had arrived and the water was to cold to react to the treatment (anyway it sorted the fish out and cleared up the problem - never had to trear the pond as there was nothing in it as we moved all fish to hospital tank and the parasites had to have blood / living tissue to survive!)

So over the last couple weeks I treated the pond again with Sterazin P as i had some left, but after I finsihed the treatment I saw it said on the bottle "product must be used within 12 months of opening" its been about 2 years since I opened it! So will the treatment be no good? Sounds like it! Or is it just a bit of rubbish they like to put on labels to get you buy more regular!

I started tonite a 5 day treatment of Myxazin as to me it looks like a bacterial problem, but I am no expert! And thats the problem I had a couple years ago, was told to treat for bacterial and iin the end took the fish for a scrap test / microscope and straight away found out it was a parasite!

The fish is feeding fine, and its usual self! The other fish in my pond are fine, we have one goldfish (the sick one) 2 shubumkins and 3 baby goldfish and one baby shubumkin as the fish spawn every year and we keep a few eggs last year in the hospital tank and the hatched / survived! So we transfered to the pond once they were big enough! So not overstocked by any means!

I also took the chance to put some io-sal on the infected area while taking the picture earlier.

Also I have turned off the uv light while treating.

Any ideas / advice please.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I never get concerned about expiration dates. They serve 2 purposes, sales and the rare cases where people do not store them properly. If you keep stuff in a cool, dark, dry place, medicines can last many years past expiration.
Put him in a QT and treat with antibiotics if you want to be sure. After a week, it will either get better or you will need to rethink the meds.

Ask a Question