Body-slamming Shubunkin!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
I've had two shubbies in an outdoor pond for at least a year; sexes unknown, very healthy—they've more than doubled in size. I emptied out and completely cleaned the pond two days ago, removed one potted plant to give them more room, and added three water lettuce.

I came out this morning to see water around the pond (thought for a second it had been a raccoon) and realized that one of the fish had been body slamming the other and was continuing to do it ceaselessly. Sometimes the slammer would come up under the other and appear to try to "shove" it out of the pond! That explained all of the water on the ground; really relieved now that I have a raccoon proof "fence" around it! Check out the video link.

Now the strange part: I pulled out the three new water lettuce after reading that they were bad for shubbies. After that, they completely calmed down. That, or they were both totally exhausted. Ever since, there's been almost no activity.

So, what is going on here?https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpw5bn9rw83odsf/Chris and Don 1.mov?dl=0

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome. It looks like you may have some interesting colored babies. One of your fish looks like a comet and the other is a shubunkin. You may want to put the water lettuce back so the fry have a place to hide. I have always had wl and my fish have never had health problems. You will get better info on GPF then the average internet site. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
WOW!! Thank you, everyone! Spawning occurred to me for about a microosecond when I first saw them, but I thought "Nah—no such luck; it's probably some territorial thing." After seeing the first comment about spawning, I googled a video of that and they were doing the same thing that my shubbies were!! I immediately put back the water lettuce (don't remember where I saw that comment, but glad they were wrong!), and I'm hoping to see more body slamming when I go out again tomorrow morning. I guess I might have to rename them—Christine and Don. :LOL: I'll also be checking to see if that one is indeed a comet—The pond center where I got them is supposed to be the best in the region, and these were both in the baby shubunkin pool.

SO HAPPY I FOUND GPF!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.... guessing by your comments you could be new to ponding?
You say you emptied and completely cleaned your pond, was that because you have'nt got any filtration? Best not to clean all the green algae off the sides and pots etc as that is good for the fish and the health of the water too. Did you add tap water to refill? If so did you add a dechlorinator or let it stand overnight? Just trying to give you a few more tips, so please tell us more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
Hi Moby,

I've had an outdoor pond in this large container for many years, with only mosquito fish. The shubbies are relatively new at 1-2 years. I realized in the last couple of days of research that I should add a filter; unfortunately, I did scrub off the thick blackish algae coating, but I always add a dechlorinator to any water refills.

Info and recommendations for an water filter suitable to this container/location are welcomed and appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 163
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
Thanks, Tula! I wish I'd known that—I think I short-circuited their spawning when I took the water lettuce out. Even after putting it back, they haven't resumed this activity.

Since I'm in such a temperate climate, is it possible that they would spawn at almost any time of year? If that's the case, I'll try another water and plant change in a while to see if this will again trigger spawning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I did scrub off the thick blackish algae coating, but I always add a dechlorinator to any water refills.

The dechlor is great; but it doesn't have anything to do with removing the algae. The algae is part of your filtration system on your pond - in this case, it IS your filtration system, so be careful about getting rid of it.

And water changes are a topic of controversy - some people swear by them; others never do them. I fall into the latter category. I'm a big believer in getting your pond established and then leaving well enough alone. I have a patio pond, too - mine is about 40 gallons - and I never change the water, nor do I have a filter. Lots of plants keep it healthy. I add water when it gets low, but that's it. I do, however, break mine down every fall and put the fish back in the big pond, so it does get a complete clean out once a year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again, sorry not to have got back to you before now, been busy. I didn't realise it was a patio pond you have, I have an in ground liner type. I'm not able to give you any tips regarding possible filtration etc, as this type of pond is so very different to mine, and products differ country to country so I'll bow out now but I'm sure those who do have one will continue to give you suggestions. BTW! I've only ever heard of mosquito fish here on the forum, I've never come across them in the UK...along with lots of other things it appears!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
Totally understand your reluctance, Moby—thanks again. I'll pose my filtration question where it will get proper exposure.

Here in Los Angeles, at least, we have a Mosquito Abatement District HQ, and they always have a cart near their door with plastic bags containing a handful of mosquito fish that anyone can pick up for free! All the better to reduce the populations of those blood-sucking, Zika-transmitting little b*#@hes! :cool::cool:

Ask a Question