Body-slamming Shubunkin!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
@Micowitz, really? Wow, never heard that either! I had no clue that they were such a problem. It's amazing what you can learn isn't it! Guess there are things we don't know, and even more that we don't know we don't know, if you see what I mean....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
Consider yourself lucky. They usually aren't a problem in LA but we finally had lots of overdue rain this past winter, and everything has responded with total abandon, including the ants and the mosquitoes, which are gigantic this year. :grumpy::LOL:

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Mickowitz , welcome and thanks for joining this forum. Regarding your questions, this forum is a very good resource. First, your pond is not really big enough for the 2 goldfish you have, that said, plenty of people will keep more fish in a smaller aquarium or similar container as yours. As you've said, you have made it a year and the advice you will receive here is how to sustain the pond in the long term. I recommend you do not add any more fish until you are ready for a bigger home. I started with 5 goldfish in a small pond probably double that size. I probably have $200 worth of filtration running, added over the years, but lost 2 to disease recently and when the 3rd one got sick knew I reached the limit. I feel impending doom until I can get a much larger home built.

This was the first filter I purchased, it's a little big even for my pond so not sure it would work for you.

http://www.smart-pond.com/product/pond-aerator/

Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
thank you, IPA! It dawned on me recently how big they've gotten and how they've outgrown their current home. I'm looking for a larger pond container right now, perhaps a stock watering trough. But I have somewhat tight size restrictions in the one good spot for them—next to my door and away from the very messy tree and bamboo leaf litter.

I've been told that the metal/zinc treated tubs may prove toxic to them—any insight into my 30–50 gallon above ground options?

Ask a Question