Bog add

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have decided to add a bog into the existing pond which hopefully will help with a little algae that occurs during our warmer months.
This is the pond as was and I finally got around to removing the fencing around it which opens the whole area up nicely
IMG_20180121_155004414.jpg

As of last weekend - it's become a bit too overgrown so a bit of an idea has been hatched. A cleared area on the left where access to the pond is available

20200729_082342.jpg

On the other side I was thinking of building a natural looking bog? The rockwork is already higher than the water level and could act as the waterfall.
The existing waterfall with the large rocks never really worked for me and can be plated out

pond_bog.jpg

So having never bogged before I will most likely have a number of questions. In Aust the bogs are not commonly used so I can't really have a bo-peep at any locally.

The pond is only about 1.5 foot deep with rainbowfish, glass shrimp and plenty frogs/tadpoles.

How deep would I need to dig the bog? Would 1.5 foot be OK?

The position I am proposing would receive sunlight most of the day in the warmer months and only a couple of hours in the cooler months

Cheers

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some are built from 12 inches to the deepest I have seen is 6 feet. Mine is 2.5 feet of pea gravel. Bogs can be really simple, like mine, pvc pipes , pea gravel and plants. Others are built with snorkels, aqua blocks etc.

My ponds and bog are full sun the entire day.

I like simple and it has worked well for over 10 years now. Running since 2010

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Building a bog for filtration is an excellent choice. Clear water with little, if any maintenance.

At least 12" of pea gravel is recommended, but you'll want the walls to be higher than the top of the gravel. You need room for expansion or possible overflowing. So, digging maybe 16"-18", then cover your liner and manifold pipes with about 12" of pea gravel or smooth river stone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ours is simple and was added onto an existing pond this year. We have 12 inches pea gravel, pvc pipes and plants. It's taken awhile to get a handle on the algae , but now that the plants are filling in, it's much better. We don't get full sun, but a lot of sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have decided to add a bog into the existing pond which hopefully will help with a little algae that occurs during our warmer months.
This is the pond as was and I finally got around to removing the fencing around it which opens the whole area up nicely

Are you 100% sure it's legal to remove that fencing? Many areas have laws that state bodies of water over a certain depth must be fenced in. That looks like a fence that was added to meet a legal requirement to me. Just be sure you're not opening yourself up to a lawsuit or zoning fines.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Are you 100% sure it's legal to remove that fencing? Many areas have laws that state bodies of water over a certain depth must be fenced in. That looks like a fence that was added to meet a legal requirement to me. Just be sure you're not opening yourself up to a lawsuit or zoning fines.
In my locality 2’ or less is the cut off for needing or not needing a fence. I think that’s a pretty common code but you are right, it never hurts to check local codes to be certain.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here as long as the pond is 100 some feet in our yard away from the edges no fence needed. Ours is easily 100 feet away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed to being a fan of the bog . i have both types . one note for you if you plan to have a stream back to the pond from the bog . The shallower the water in the stream along with fast flowing waters is a haven for string algae It should also be a minimum or 30% of your waters surface in the pond

Reaction score
Country
Australia
All good, have checked with authorities (y)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Had hired a dingo digger the weekend just gone to move some gravel and mulch around.
What better reason to start making a mess with it
20200802_153602.jpg

Ask a Question