Bog - "backwash" function

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States
When building a gravel bed with pvc manifold style bog, do you prefer a vertical clean out pipe like Nelson recommends or installing a ball valve(or similar) at the base of the bog?

I feel like the ball valve will be easier, you literally just turn the handle and let gravity prevail. But I also haven't installed a vertical clean out pipe. Thoughts?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Vertical pipe is what I use. You can put a ball valve on it, I just have pvc caps on mine. Not sure how you plan on a valve on the bottom of the bog unless you are planning on cutting the liner to run the pipe.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a ball valve at the base of our bog, only used once in 10 years just to check it. No clean out valves, but my bog is huge. I draw only water into it. No debris build up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States
Vertical pipe is what I use. You can put a ball valve on it, I just have pvc caps on mine. Not sure how you plan on a valve on the bottom of the bog unless you are planning on cutting the liner to run the pipe.

I’m planning on using an elevated bog out of a preform/stock tank, which I completely forgot to mention in the first post.

I have a ball valve at the base of our bog, only used once in 10 years just to check it. No clean out valves, but my bog is huge. I draw only water into it. No debris build up.

I don’t foresee really needing one but I like to overbuild and be prepared.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What you really need is a check valve. I bought a ball valve but realized the check valve would be needed when power is lost so the bog doesn’t drain killing plants and bacteria if power is out too long. I prefer the rubber flap ones because I’ve had spring ones in the past that failed due to corrosion and or buildup on the metal spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We have a ball valve in the line to the bog, so we can turn if off and have it not drain ie: winter. We have two vertical pipes in the bog for clean out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What you really need is a check valve. I bought a ball valve but realized the check valve would be needed when power is lost so the bog doesn’t drain killing plants and bacteria if power is out too long. I prefer the rubber flap ones because I’ve had spring ones in the past that failed due to corrosion and or buildup on the metal spring.
As not to cause confusion, I believe the OP was asking about a clean-out at the very end of the bog manifold pipes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I’m planning on using an elevated bog out of a preform/stock tank, which I completely forgot to mention
If you're using a stock tank, I would install a double threaded bulkhead fitting through the side of the tank. Connect the end of the manifold pipe to the inside of the bulkhead fitting and install a ball valve into the outside of the bulkhead fitting.
If you see the water returning to the pond slows down considerably (indicating a buildup), just open the ball valve for a few seconds until it runs clear. Do this while the pump is running. It will force out any buildup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States

Yeah, I’ve already got a flapper valve in my plans. But I’m looking specifically at backwash function at the moment.

We have a ball valve in the line to the bog, so we can turn if off and have it not drain ie: winter. We have two vertical pipes in the bog for clean out.

Also a reason I was looking at a ball valve- I’ll likely need to disconnect for the winter and this seemed the easiest way to drain.

If you're using a stock tank, I would install a double threaded bulkhead fitting through the side of the tank. Connect the end of the manifold pipe to the inside of the bulkhead fitting and install a ball valve into the outside of the bulkhead fitting.
If you see the water returning to the pond slows down considerably (indicating a buildup), just open the ball valve for a few seconds until it runs clear. Do this while the pump is running. It will force out any buildup.

That was another design idea, but I was looking at elevating the manifold a bit to leave room for solids to settle should they get in. Then use the ball valve as a dual function to flush the bottom but also do a water change at the same time. I hate backflushing my pressure filter each time to do a water change as often as I prefer(but I also hate my pond vac so ya know).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I’ve already got a flapper valve in my plans. But I’m looking specifically at backwash function at the moment.

Also a reason I was looking at a ball valve- I’ll likely need to disconnect for the winter and this seemed the easiest way to drain.

That was another design idea, but I was looking at elevating the manifold a bit to leave room for solids to settle should they get in. Then use the ball valve as a dual function to flush the bottom but also do a water change at the same time. I hate backflushing my pressure filter each time to do a water change as often as I prefer(but I also hate my pond vac so ya know).
Oh, I see. If you want an option to just flush out the bottom, then mount the bulkhead fitting down low with the ball valve on the outside and nothing connected to the inside.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our bog has a snorkel and pump vault for potential clean out - still haven't used it in 8 years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put a bottom drain in my bog. I used a shower drain and have a filter pit that the pipe runs to with a ball valve. Then the pipe runs underground to my gutter drains. I have not used it yet but it is there if i want to flush my bog out. With 6 tons of gravel it is cheap insurance to be able to flush it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We used around 16 tons of pea gravel. Never seen a need to clean it . We do have a bottom pipe we could open and drain the bog. I opened it once nothing but clean water came out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We used around 16 tons of pea gravel. Never seen a need to clean it . We do have a bottom pipe we could open and drain the bog. I opened it once nothing but clean water came out.
16 tons?! How did you get that to your pond?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
16 tons?! How did you get that to your pond?
lol we started washing it and taking by the wheel barrel load into the bog area. Well after 3 wheel barrels full, being on a well, a drought going on, we quit washing it, put it in dirty. And used my kubota tractor to take bucket loads in. I did not use epdm but something called ppl36, the tractor did not damage the liner. Drove in real careful, no turning, backed out real careful.

Ignore the arrows no clue what I had them on this pic for. I did put some excess liner down at the entrance of the bog just in case.

bog2.JPG

This is how it looks now, everything behind the bog wall is in the bog. Behind the camera is on the bog wall.
IMG_3930.jpg

Ask a Question