Bog Bean Question

M

MariaTeresa

My bog bean, planted in the pond last fall, has climbed out of its pot. It's made a bunch of roots, all of which just hang into the water. My question is, will the roots need to be planted somehow before winter or can the new roots survive winter in the pond (frozen if this winter will be anything like the last)?

Interestingly...there isn't much of the plant above its pot...it was planted at one end of a kidney basket and instead of growing towards the other end it grew away from the pot. In a bog situation it would just be spreading, but here it has no media to root in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just took my big bean out of the pot this spring and planted it directly in the gravel at the edge of the pond. One of my favorite pond/garden centers has theirs growing that way and its so amazing - grows clear across the pond. When it starts to die back you'll want to remove the dead foliage, but the part that is rooted (either in the pot or in the gravel) will survive and start growing again in spring. They tell me it will grow sooner, bigger, and faster every year. We will see!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My question is, will the roots need to be planted somehow before winter or can the new roots survive winter in the pond (frozen if this winter will be anything like the last)
Mine is partly in the pot, mostly hanging out in the water. It took it two years to get going, but I started with just a tiny piece. The pond it is in is a shallow deck pond, it freezes solid. This winter the ice went down to the bottom of the pond. (18 inches deep) the bog bean came back beautifully, bloomed beautifully. I don't worry about the dead vegetation, it is a fishless pond. Usually just clean it in the spring.

Ask a Question