Bog Bean

Free: Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by addy1, Jun 26, 2017.

1. addy1

Lisak1

Oh, phew! Well shame on whoever it is - most gardeners and ponders are great people. It's hard to imagine someone being shyster. But there's always a few in every crowd...

Lisak1, Jun 27, 2017
    addy1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We work them hard, being retired............yeah right........... we can spend the time that a lot can't. Right now the research study we are in is showing us that the mite count is going up in 4 of our hives. As soon as we pull the last of the honey supers we can start treatments. You can not treat when honey supers are on, ow selling tainted honey.
    One hive is entering the danger zone in mite count. If we don't treat the hive gets weaker and weaker until they fail. Esp they die over winter.

One of the better treatment's does not leave residue in the wax, frames, etc. It adds up 15 dollars per hive, 15 hives = 225 dollars. Then you need to pick another treatment for the next one so you don't breed resistant mites.

addy1, Jun 28, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

EricV

Addy, I love the one bog bean you sent me last year and would love some more if you have some left.

EricV, Jun 28, 2017
  4. addy1

EricV

That's a real shame. I was amazed at how generous you are with your time and pre-paying the postage and I'm very sorry it came back to bite you.

EricV, Jun 28, 2017
  5. addy1

@EricV I have more to pull might get to it tomorrow, if not next week. It has grown beautifully this year and is taking over our small deck ponds. I already tossed a whole bunch in the big pond and it is taking off there, not even potted just tossed in...............lol

addy1, Jun 28, 2017
  6. addy1

bettasngoldfish Maria

Box full of very healthy looking plants arrived today.

Thanks so much @addy1

bettasngoldfish, Jul 1, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  7. addy1

Tula

Mine arrived too :) Many thanks !

Tula, Jul 1, 2017
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
  8. addy1

Gordo33

Ditto on plant arrivals. Thanks (y)

Gordo33, Jul 1, 2017
    bettasngoldfish and Tula like this.
  9. addy1

You all are welcome! I always worry about them when it is this hot. I mark the box live plants, I think that might keep the po people from leaving them in a cooking truck, maybe.

Extracting the last of the honey harvest today...........can't wait to be done, been a busy bee year.

addy1, Jul 1, 2017
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
  10. addy1

dreampond

Addy- just wandering if you have anymore big bean? Ive started my pond and know I need more plants - but it's slim pickings around my area and very expensive.

dreampond, Aug 9, 2017
  11. addy1

JamieB

What is big bean?

JamieB, Dec 4, 2017
  12. addy1

sorry totally missed this I still have bog bean, it is growing great, but now in winter mode. Send me a reminder in the spring I could send you some. I don't think it would do good this time of year, sort of froze, cold killed.
    I have tons of plants don't mind sending some now and then.

A neat plant with three leaves, floats and has white flowers in early spring, late winter.

bog bean
    http://www.thepondguy.com/product/bog-bean/water-gardens-fish-ponds-bog-plants

addy1, Dec 4, 2017
    qclabrat likes this.
  13. addy1

JamieB

Oh those are pretty! Once I get my aquaponics set up, if I decide to build a bed just for pretties, I’ll get some from you! But first, I must get it set up for food stuffs. I’m dying for a nice garden salad!

JamieB, Dec 4, 2017
  14. addy1

Gemma

@addy1 how do people pay you for shipping?

Gemma, Dec 6, 2017
  15. addy1

I have received checks, or most pay via pay pal.
    Only a few times have I been burnt by a member. One took me for over 35 dollars in shipping.

I am a bit more cautious now, if a new member or unknown to me member, I ask for shipping up front.

addy1, Dec 6, 2017
  16. addy1

JamieB

Addy, where did you get your shubbies? I was looking at some of your pics, and I think I need to know more about them. The long flowing fins and tails are something I’d love to add to my pond. I need color! I’m going through a bad case of eager for spring, flowers, color, and seeing my fish! I’d planned to add a butterfly koi come April if the breeder I’ll be going to see has one I like, but I might look into shubbies instead. I’m not big on the far body butt wiggle slow swim of most fancy goldfish, I don’t know that they’d survive. Too big a chance of a bird of prey snagging it. Do they swim like comets and common, and can they breed with them?

JamieB, Feb 1, 2018
  17. addy1

There is a fish hatchery about 30 minutes from us. We found it by accident. Driving north we saw a sign that said fish hatchery so we followed the sign. They raise kio, goldfish, fan tails all sorts of fish. Have huge mud ponds and bring in a bunch into some tanks that you can pick out the ones you want.

All their shubbies are bred to be long flowing fins. The older they get the longer the fins. Yes they will breed with comets and any other gf in the pond. I have a mix, but mainly shubbies. I even have a few fan tails in the 1000 gallon pond, so far they are doing just fine. I do keep it netted from the herons.

http://eatonsgoldfish.com/fish.php

addy1, Feb 1, 2018
  18. addy1

JamieB

I’ll see if I can find some out here. With the pool being above ground and single depth, I don’t get herons in it, though they are commonly seen out at the creek, it’s the hawks and occasional eagle I worry about. I don’t know if it’s big enough across for them to swoop down, grab one, and fly off or not, but I’d hate to spend money on Wild Bird food like that!

JamieB, Feb 1, 2018
  19. addy1

mrsclem mrsclem

Jamie, what's the width on your pond? I have hawks and eagles and my ponds are 10' .

mrsclem, Feb 1, 2018
  20. addy1

JamieB

22’ I believe. Maybe 20. It’s one of the large Intex pools, when I measured it last summer, I think it was like 22’.

JamieB, Feb 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question