addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy- just wandering if you have anymore big bean? Ive started my pond and know I need more plants - but it's slim pickings around my area and very expensive.
sorry totally missed this I still have bog bean, it is growing great, but now in winter mode. Send me a reminder in the spring I could send you some. I don't think it would do good this time of year, sort of froze, cold killed.
I have tons of plants don't mind sending some now and then.

What is big bean?
A neat plant with three leaves, floats and has white flowers in early spring, late winter.

bog bean
http://www.thepondguy.com/product/bog-bean/water-gardens-fish-ponds-bog-plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh those are pretty! Once I get my aquaponics set up, if I decide to build a bed just for pretties, I’ll get some from you! But first, I must get it set up for food stuffs. I’m dying for a nice garden salad!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have received checks, or most pay via pay pal.
Only a few times have I been burnt by a member. One took me for over 35 dollars in shipping.

I am a bit more cautious now, if a new member or unknown to me member, I ask for shipping up front.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Addy, where did you get your shubbies? I was looking at some of your pics, and I think I need to know more about them. The long flowing fins and tails are something I’d love to add to my pond. I need color! I’m going through a bad case of eager for spring, flowers, color, and seeing my fish! I’d planned to add a butterfly koi come April if the breeder I’ll be going to see has one I like, but I might look into shubbies instead. I’m not big on the far body butt wiggle slow swim of most fancy goldfish, I don’t know that they’d survive. Too big a chance of a bird of prey snagging it. Do they swim like comets and common, and can they breed with them?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is a fish hatchery about 30 minutes from us. We found it by accident. Driving north we saw a sign that said fish hatchery so we followed the sign. They raise kio, goldfish, fan tails all sorts of fish. Have huge mud ponds and bring in a bunch into some tanks that you can pick out the ones you want.

All their shubbies are bred to be long flowing fins. The older they get the longer the fins. Yes they will breed with comets and any other gf in the pond. I have a mix, but mainly shubbies. I even have a few fan tails in the 1000 gallon pond, so far they are doing just fine. I do keep it netted from the herons.

http://eatonsgoldfish.com/fish.php

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ll see if I can find some out here. With the pool being above ground and single depth, I don’t get herons in it, though they are commonly seen out at the creek, it’s the hawks and occasional eagle I worry about. I don’t know if it’s big enough across for them to swoop down, grab one, and fly off or not, but I’d hate to spend money on Wild Bird food like that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
22’ I believe. Maybe 20. It’s one of the large Intex pools, when I measured it last summer, I think it was like 22’.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it’s the hawks and occasional eagle I worry about.
A guy in Colorado stocked his pond with trout, near the house I had there, way up in the mountains, 8000 feet, tons of eagles. I would watch the eagles swoop down and snatch the trout.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That’s what I figured, so better to stick to faster swimming fish. No wiggle butts out there. There are some cute fancies, but just not for me.

Ask a Question