Bog Build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’m attempting to add a bog to my existing pond. I have an area in mind circled in red but I have a few questions. My plan is to pull back the existing liner to add the retaining wall under the liner. There is already an existing shelf for plants there so it’s slightly higher than the pond floor. I know I can make one spot on the retaining wall shorter for the water to spill back into the pond. Is there a way to have the water spill out of the bog through a pot, spitter, or something else instead of it just flowing over the edge of the retaining wall back into the pond? Also does anyone know of any good directions or videos on how to correctly set up the plumbing under the bog? I’ve seen a lot of videos and it seems everyone does this differently. Thanks in advance! You all had amazing advice when I built my 55 gallon barrel filter and it’s working awesome! I’m only adding the bog because rocks that sit on this plant shelf are always nasty looking. I figure a bog would look more pleasing with less maintenance.

Attachments

• C28C7B4C-2201-43BE-9B98-0A2F33A129E1.jpeg
    C28C7B4C-2201-43BE-9B98-0A2F33A129E1.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 46
  • D02508EE-E9DD-40A3-8002-D1B26575DABB.jpeg
    D02508EE-E9DD-40A3-8002-D1B26575DABB.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have now built 4 container bogs using masonry tubs and a whiskey barrel liner. Each time the "plumbing" is different because I went to Lowes or Home Depot and put together pieces that worked based on what they had. I laid it out in my cart to be sure I had all of the parts. Glueing together PVC is very easy with the glue (that is likely highly toxic and should be used outdoors).

Basically decide what size, I have used 1 and 1 1/2 inches, then put together the puzzle of elbows and caps so it works. PVC cutters make cutting super easy. And buy a long piece of pipe to be the long pieces and clean outs.

I think a waterfall back to your pond is your best bet. It doesn't even have to be higher than the pond level, since the water flowing through the bog will rise up and join the rest of the pond water. The wall between the pond and bog can be below the water level. It for sure should be lower than the other 3 walls of your bog. I do not think a pond spitter with have enough volume to do what you need.

On my last bog build, I made the container within the pond so if it overflows the water is still in the pond. It is somewhere I do not check every day so I was more worried about failure. This could be an option for you. It could be put in almost underwater so it is less visible. You could use any shape container. I liked that the whiskey barrel liner had a built in weir.

The plants will grow in and cover it. This could work for you and does not require emptying the pond or messing with the liner. I put it on concrete blocks. you could put some underlayment so the bricks won't damage your liner. I will attach pics. I wanted mine raised high since this is the aeration on this pond. There used to be a waterfall that failed. And I needed a quick solution of bog plus waterfall.

It is hard to see from the pic, but the water comes out the weir and due to the tilt of the container, it is also overflowing in the back. I was glad it was doing this to keep water circulating at that back corner of the pond, or I could have leveled it to only come out the weir.

My first container bog, I cut through to have the pipe enter in a more hidden way. But the plants filled in so much I am confident the cleanouts and water inflow line will be camouflaged when this takes off. This container is 26 inch diameter and I forget the height.

**The bog failures I have had are #1 pump becomes clogged and slows the flow. So I have to turn the pump off and spray with water to clean it. #2 is roots grow and push up the rocks and create dams that make my bog overflow not into the pond lowering the pond water level. I have fixed this by taking out gravel and digging down channels to help the water flow and stay in the bog and flow out where I want it to. This is why I wanted my newest bog completely within my pond.

Attachments

• Corrales bog pic.jpg
    Corrales bog pic.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is the before and after pics of my second to last bog to see how much it fills in. I added this weir myself and it was a pain to do. I cut apart a small pond weir and cut into the container and siliconed/caulked it in. I did not know of the whiskey barrel liner when I made this. This little pond has my first bog on the right. I am overstocked with goldfish and added the second bog for filtration. This bog has aquatic mint and yerba mansa.

Attachments

• ABQ new bog.jpg
    ABQ new bog.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 36
  • ABQ newer bog.jpg
    ABQ newer bog.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 34
  • ABQ bogs.jpg
    ABQ bogs.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think directing the bog water into a pot, vase or other container might be a bit difficult, at least with the way you are planning the bog. It would be much easier to just let it flow over a spillway or low point in the wall.

If your bog was in a container, such as a stock tank, then it would be easier. You could drill a hole in the stock tank, add a bulkhead fitting with a piece of PVC screwed into it. Then the PVC could be connected to the pot or vase.

That bring said, why not do both.
Let the bog water go over a spillway and add a pot or vase somewhere else. The pot or vase can be fed with another pump or you could split the output of one pump to feed both the bog and the pot or vase. You could have a valve on each branch of the pump output for fine tuning of how much water goes where.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My first bog I put a 1 or 1/2 inch pipe in the side to be the outflow. But it clogged too easily so I ended up cutting open a bigger little flap to be the outflow. Water does flow out both now.

I wanted to show this pic to show how much the roots grow and push up the gravel. And this pic is in winter so not hidden by the plant growth.

The plant roots pushed the gravel up so much, I was having overflow problems all around. So I ended up lifting the whole bog at an angle (by putting a layer of tiles I had laying around under one end) towards the pond, and cutting out big sections of roots and gravel around the edges (Including the edge you see here) so water would flow to the low area instead of over the sides. I had to use a big kitchen knife to saw out the thick roots and gravel.

On the left side of where the ice is, you can see the metal piece that is where the water enters this bog at the base. The over the top incoming water line is way easier to make.

This is the bog on the right in my 2 bog pond.

Attachments

• Abq bog in winter.jpg
    Abq bog in winter.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do not think a pond spitter with have enough volume to do what you need.
agreed
Unfortunately the new placement of the bog is less than ideal. it's going to take water from the skimmer at the base of the bog pump it to the bottom of the bog spill over and lay right at the base of the skimmer. your clean bog water will get drawn right back into the bog and not have a chance to dilute the dirty water else where in the pond. I would entertain rebuilding the water fall and have the bog at that end and have it fall out a new waterfall with little pools of water. That way your not adding to your power consumption and you'll still have your viewing area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! It looks like my bog construction will be closer to the waterfall. I’m just not sure that plants will do very well there as it’s full shade under the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! It looks like my bog construction will be closer to the waterfall. I’m just not sure that plants will do very well there as it’s full shade under the tree.
I think you'll get lots of suggestions for plants that are Ok in the shade. Hostas and impatiens come to mind. You can adjust the level of the gravel in the bog so the plant roots aren't underwater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think you'll get lots of suggestions for plants that are Ok in the shade. Hostas and impatiens come to mind. You can adjust the level of the gravel in the bog so the plant roots aren't underwater.
@SarahT, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you misspoke.
The plant roots actually do need to be in contact with the water.

I'm thinking you meant that you can adjust the gravel height to accommodate how deep or shallow the plant's stem sits in relation to the water level. Some plants don't like their crown too deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
@SarahT, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you misspoke.
The plant roots actually do need to be in contact with the water.

I'm thinking you meant that you can adjust the gravel height to accommodate how deep or shallow the plant's stem sits in relation to the water level. Some plants don't like their crown too deep.
Yup, you're right, my apologies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yup, you're right, my apologies.
No biggie.
I just didn't want anyone to get confused.

This pond/bog stuff can get a bit overwhelming when first starting out.
The good thing is that once it's set up properly and matures, you really don't need to do much at all. Sit back, feed the fish once in a while and enjoy!

Ask a Question