Bog building question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We started building our bog. It is 48"deep. We used aqua blocks on the bottom and 4-8" boulders on top.
We ran out of the 4-8" boulders leaving roughly 24" to the spill line.
I read that the recommended pea gravel for a bog is 12-18" , what happens if it's more?
Should we order some 3" stones or can we have 24" pea gravel?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The overall size of the bog is 108"x54"x48"deep, the pump is 3450gph going slightly uphill

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We started building our bog. It is 48"deep. We used aqua blocks on the bottom and 4-8" boulders on top.
We ran out of the 4-8" boulders leaving roughly 24" to the spill line.
I read that the recommended pea gravel for a bog is 12-18" , what happens if it's more?
Should we order some 3" stones or can we have 24" pea gravel?
I have 2.5 feet deep pea gravel and it works great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you can get it, I would probably use a 2-3" rock between your 4-8" and your pea gravel. It would give you more assurance that your pea gravel won't end up in your aquablox.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We did step up to 2-3" rock before the pea gravel for exactly that reason - keep the pea gravel from migrating too far down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Before we started, we divided the stones by size, then started from the larger and moved to the smallest. I think we covered all the holes
There are more piles hiding from view...and yes we will need twice that amount of pea gravel

bog9.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is basically what we did under the stones, and I hope it's good enough cause at this point it's too late to change things

We have to build the return to the pond, I'm not sure what we'll do but we have a few options we are considering

bog8.jpg

bog0-1.jpg

bog001.jpg

bog7.jpg

After this last pic was taken, we zippy tied the aqua blocks together to hold them in place and put the largest boulders to fill the space around them.

So what do you think, will it work?

Ask a Question