Bog building

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by addy1, Jun 22, 2011.

1. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I have a separate pump for the stream, clear water pump to handle the head pressure, we keep it on a timer.

The only pond pump goes right to the bog. I use a external pump. We, when done, will have a skimmer and pond plumbed to the pump, with ball valves to direct flow the way we want it to go, either full skimmer, full pond or split. Still need to cut the weir for the skimmer, on our list lol

addy1, Jul 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

pond maven Deede

This site has info about shade loving pond plants: http://aggie-horticu...wers/lily2.html

I was fortunate to see Addy's pond set up and it was super. Beautiful crystal clear water and everything growing wonderfully. Really a winning set up.

pond maven, Aug 4, 2011
    addy1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

Thanks, after having the bog really up and running for the summer, we do have some shade north of the maple tree. I am going to look for some shade loving bog plants.

in looking at the site, I already have a bunch that don't mind shade, need to do some moving around of the plants lol

addy1, Aug 4, 2011
  4. addy1

pond maven Deede

Yeah Chris, our stream is in shade and I was pleased to read that some of those plants I got from you are good for shade. They are doing great. They really like it here :)

pond maven, Aug 4, 2011
  5. addy1

so glad to hear that! Anytime you need more or different ones let me know, have some getting ready to bloom right now, need to figure out what they are.............lol

I have kept track of what I planted, but lost track of where............lmao

addy1, Aug 4, 2011
  6. addy1

pond maven Deede

The hyacinth is blooming! So pretty. Gonna try hosta in pots in the stream. Got so many I can afford to lose a few.

pond maven, Aug 5, 2011
  7. addy1

Great so glad the hyacinths did good for you, the pond bundle you saw are all blooming now. Hostas are supposed to do ok in the bog, I have a small one that has been doing fine in my bog, a test hosta.

addy1, Aug 5, 2011
  8. addy1

blessedfamily

Hey Addy I'm thinking a video of how to do this would be super lol--

You need to lay out the pvc piping. I use 2 inch below my pea gravel.You can use 1.5 inch pvc if you wish, do not go smaller.This size is to keep the piping from clogging up.

Once you know the lengths you need, the distribution pipe needs to be perforated.We cut ours approximately every 6 inches, due to the size of our bog, we wanted to make sure the water made it to the end of the pipe.

Cut about every 1 to 1.5 inches apart the length of the pipe. If you have a long pipe run make the cuts further apart.Use a circular saw to cut 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the pipe perpendicular to the water flow.If your bog is only 3 feet in width you can get away with just one distribution pipe, wider you should use two.

Lay your pipe in the bog.I laid mine slits down, so whenever I turned the pump off pea gravel would not be able settle in the piping.But I did lay extra liner under the pvc the length of the pipes to protect the liner from the continuous water flow. You could also lay the pvc with the cuts up.

At the end of your pipe run, put in a clean out pipe.

Paint the cap sticking above pea gravel brown to make it less noticeable.

blessedfamily, Sep 7, 2011
  9. addy1

sigh, I don't really do talking videos, but I could try and do a short video and post it. Showing a mini bog build.

addy1, Sep 7, 2011
  10. addy1

Sunshine

I love my bog. Addy helped me make it all possible. I used my old preform pond, about 100 gallons. I had a small barrel I used for a bog before the preform. Bogs are great for filtration. Mine has been up and running all Summer. My pump is in the pond. I have had so many compliments on it. And of course .... I want a bigger one ... lol Thanks Addy !!!

Sunshine, Sep 7, 2011
  11. addy1

baeya

I can't wait to get started on one!

baeya, Sep 8, 2011
  12. addy1

blessedfamily

Pretty please Addy :) I would like to do one when I go bigger but I am more of a hands on or watch someone do it type and I am sure it would help so many people he he..

blessedfamily, Sep 8, 2011
  13. addy1

LOL now I need to go and buy supplies........or maybe do a demo with smaller piping. Will see what I can set up. We are still raining a lot here, might just do it in the house.........I don't have a video cam, but do have a camera that records.

addy1, Sep 8, 2011
  14. addy1

SE18 David V

well, I'm finally getting around to reading all of this good material. I've currently got a bog but not for any type of filtration, Just a bog for bog's sake you might say. I haven't planted anything in it yet but creeping jennies have crept over to it from a long distance away (isn't it amazing that they have brains to do that!). I took a look at your plant list and might include something else in the future that is hardy locally (I'm in N. Va. btw, but noticed you are in Frederick. I'm working at Fort Meade (we got BRAC'd from Arlington VA so extreme commute 2 hrs each way).

one thing you mention is that the bog should be lower than the pea gravel. Well I guess I need to raise mine some. I take it this is only for filtration reasons and not to benefit the plant.

I so far have seen 2 types of frogs making their home in the bogs: tree frogs and southern leapard frogs, the latter of which hangs around more in the bog than the tree frogs.

I love the bogs so much that in the future I'm thinking of expansion. But first, I'll try and read over this thread carefully.

Thanks for inspiration.

DaveV

SE18, Sep 8, 2011
  15. addy1

Bog lower than the pea gravel? you lost me, if I said that must have been a typo brain fart. The water should be lower than the pea gravel if it is a pond filtration bog, mainly to make the water work on its way back into the pond, through the pea gravel, through the plants etc. I have some areas that are lower for the birds to drink and bath in.
    Some bog plants like to have their crowns dry and roots wet.
    My land bogs are just peat moss and sand mix. They vary from being real wet to dry, then if no rain I fill them until they are wet again.

addy1, Sep 8, 2011
  16. addy1

SE18 David V

Sorry, I meant to say water lower than pea gravel. Since I installed my float, the water has been maintaining its high water mark while previously it raised and lowered slightly due to evaporation (probably a more natural state where water in nature raises and lowers all the time). I do have a "dry" bog and wet one as well. On the dry bog, I manually add water once a week but plan in the future to install a drip pvc pipe from my elevated aqueduct to keep it moist with a very slow drip. Yeah, the bog is cool.

SE18, Sep 9, 2011
  17. addy1

Yes a wet dry cycle is more natural, my pond bog is just wet all of the time, I need higher pea gravel to keep some of the crowns of the plants dryer.

My land bog, I am going to have auto water for it next year. We were so dry I would forget how fast it would dry with full sun and heat. It will do a lot better with more water. The two land ones are for carnivorous plants and a few flowering boggy plants. Just love them, gnats have been inhaled by the sun dews, they are constantly covered with gnats being eaten by the plant. this will be their first winter, so hoping they all survive.

addy1, Sep 9, 2011
  18. addy1

SE18 David V

thanks; I just finished reading the entire thread and I think your effort will result in some converts to bogs.

I particularly found the link: http://aggie-horticu...wers/lily2.html

to be useful. I used to have all sun but as you are aware, it gets extremely HOT in the south side of houses in our area in summer and I needed shade trees so I planted oaks, cherry and maples about 10 years ago and now they are probably 30 feet tall! The creeping jenny seem to be ok in sun as well as shade, but I'll try in the future to get some other shade lovers, maybe iris for starters.

I'm including an aerial view of my bog taken from the deck. The bog is centermast in the picture, covered with creeping jenny (the dry bog). It actually is made from concrete with some cracks in it and is about 6 inches deep and about 3x4'. The other water is the canal and aqueduct, the left side of the photo shows the concrete aqueduct with no water in it b/c it is still under construction and in another month should complete the large loop. It will feature canal boats running in a complete circle. I'm actually torn between operating the boats or filling the aqueduct with plants. It might be hard to see but in the lower right you can see a spigot with water falling from the aqueduct to the canal. I may run some PVC from there to the bog.

Cheers

DaveV

Attached Files:

SE18, Sep 9, 2011
  19. addy1

Nice article, great for those that need shade plants. Our stream, stream ponds, deck pond, large pond, bog (water and land) are all in full sun, south side of the house. Hot hot hot.

Everything I plant needs to handle full hot sun.

Neat bog you have going there. That will neat to see when you have it done and running, well if you decide on boats.

addy1, Sep 9, 2011
  20. addy1

Ok not a video, but some pictures............ I took a few short pieces of pipe to make a demo picture.

These are pretend 1/4 inch holes drilled into the pipe they are drilled so the holes are 45 degrees off the bottom of the pipe.
    DSC02367.JPG
    DSC02365.JPG

The 90 attaches the bottom pipe to the pipe that goes up and out of the pea gravel with a cap on it. This way you can clean it out if ever needed, just stick a garden hose down the piping. The holes point down, a line of holes on both sides of the bottom pipe. They can be 6-12 inches apart. Further apart if your piping is longer. I placed a extra small piece of liner under the pipe to keep the water from pounding on the real liner.

DSC02369.JPG

This is how we did our piping, 1/4 inch slots approximately 1/3 of the way though the pipe. Ours are spaced 12 inches, more or less, apart. did not measure the distance just spaced them out.

DSC02371.JPG

Again the slots face down, extra liner placed under the piping to protect the real liner.

DSC02372.JPG

Here you can see how it would look attached to the clean out pipe that goes above the pea gravel.

DSC02373.JPG

We just drained the bog to plumb in the skimmer, hayward pool skimmer, the water came out clean no huge collection of debris after running all summer. We were redoing the pump piping, adding the skimmer piping, and moved the ball valve that allows me to drain the bog so we had to drain the bog. It took forever for the water to quit running out. When the bog refilled that dropped the pond level low enough with just a little more draining so I could cut the liner over the skimmers face. ...........no leaks! yeah. Used the face plate, gaskets and good old black roofing sealant to make sure there would not be a leak.

addy1, Sep 17, 2011
    blessedfamily likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question