addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think I just heard @addy1 say she's building another pond... ;)
lmao, maybe, no filtration, no pump no air, just lilies.................maybe............... Problem is no flat areas and so darn busy right now can't even think about it.

IF I did it, it would be partly above ground (dirt berms) partly below, only around 2 feet deep. Just rosey reds to keep the biters down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
lmao, maybe, no filtration, no pump no air, just lilies.................maybe............... Problem is no flat areas and so darn busy right now can't even think about it.

IF I did it, it would be partly above ground (dirt berms) partly below, only around 2 feet deep. Just rosey reds to keep the biters down.

I don't know Addy, seems to me the second part of your response trumps the first part. Sounds like we're already past the planning stages........Please keep us posted with progress reports!(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Rrasco, I think your main concern is hiding the middle wall. I failed to "get that right" on my koi pond, but did better on my goldfish pond, which has a much larger bog. Here are pics of the wall between pond and bog. I used "free" ceramic blocks from neighbor's old garage that got knocked over in a storm (conveniently) the same year I built the goldfish pond. They are stacked on top of the dirt wall, for extra height between the two water areas.

Yes CE, trying to figure out exactly how to dig, build up and hide that wall is proving to be my biggest challenge. I'm a little constrained for space so don't want to have to stack a bunch of rocks to hide it that will take away real estate. I may dig the main pond and then lay out retaining wall blocks (2 high) where I want the bog, then dig it out a little big and use separate liners for each basin. Not sure I want to use a single liner since it will cover the wall blocks which I may use for aesthetics. Have not decided yet.

I did however build a small retaining wall planter in the corner of my yard yesterday (also ordered a skimmer and pump), where I will be moving excess soil during the dig. Waiting until the hole is dug to pick up a liner. Any recommendations on where to get a liner? Going with 45mil EPDM. Drs F&S has free shipping over $49 so I may go that route, or try and source one locally.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know Addy, seems to me the second part of your response trumps the first part. Sounds like we're already past the planning stages........Please keep us posted with progress reports!(y)
laughing! I have thought about it, but that is it. Esp now that my lilies are almost totally covering the pond and I don't want to toss any.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Me, too, since my lilies are not doing that well this year for some reason. Deep pink ones from you, Addy, are growing great, and just noticed one of my yellow ones appears to be ready to bloom. Other than that, lost both of my Georgia Peach, and the others are White and red ones from Menards, and the flowers are just pretty blah on those. Let me know, sounds like T and I would help you thin out those lilies real quick! :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sure you two could! You never know I might get inspired to remove some will let you know!

M

MariaTeresa

I'm hoping to add a small bog to our pond for filtration, but am worried about the winter. Last winter our pond got almost a foot of ice!

With a submersible pump, how do you unhook the pump from the bog without the bog draining all the water out and without water staying in the piping (from pump to pvc in bog) and freezing/breaking it? Is there some sort of valve where a pump hose connects to the pvc?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm hoping to add a small bog to our pond for filtration, but am worried about the winter. Last winter our pond got almost a foot of ice!

With a submersible pump, how do you unhook the pump from the bog without the bog draining all the water out and without water staying in the piping (from pump to pvc in bog) and freezing/breaking it? Is there some sort of valve where a pump hose connects to the pvc?

I have an external pump so a little different than your set up. I just pull my pump, leave all the pipes open to the air. My input pipe for the bog enters the bottom of the bog, but comes up to the level of the water in the bog, so when it is turned off the bog stays full of water. The pipes stay full of water. If the bog drained all the plants would die.

This last winter we had over 12 inches of ice on the ponds, no pipes broke.

I have only lost one pipe, two winters ago, the deer walked on it (saw the hoof print) snapped it. Now that one is better protected.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I have check valves (that didnt seem to be working 100%), a T with valve, and a little hole in the pipe over the bog.

I'm thinking that in winter, I'll probably try to run the bog still, will see how that does first before I turn the water off. When I turn the pumps, I'll also turn the valve at the T to drain the water in the pipe. the hole near the bog supposed to break the siphoning effect from the bog so i'll still have water in the bog in winter for my plants.

That's the plan anyway, this will be a first winter for this pond and bog :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
the bog stays full of water. The pipes stay full of water. If the bog drained all the plants would die.
This last winter we had over 12 inches of ice on the ponds, no pipes broke.

Addy, if there is water in the bog, and the pond had 12 inches of water, then did the bog all freeze? Did this harm any plants? Do you take some of them indoors in winter?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, if there is water in the bog, and the pond had 12 inches of water, then did the bog all freeze? Did this harm any plants? Do you take some of them indoors in winter?
Water stays in the bog all of the time, if it drained the plants would dry up and die even over winter.
Mine freezes up like an ice cube, solid.. The plants come back gang busters as soon as it starts to melt. Even grows when still frozen, if just the top few inches melts.

I take nothing in for the winter, did for the first year or so, then said the heck with it, live here or move on to plant heaven.

Ask a Question