Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I have my taro (and elephant ear) in the basement. I didn't know I could have let the taro dry out and then put it back out! It's growing really well in the basement, and the elephant ear is holding its own, but not growing a bunch. I suspect once they are all put outside they will go gangbusters.
And, I think I may have goofed up with some plants that you and JW sent to me. I put a couple of them in cups in the bog, but I think I thought several were floating plants and needed to just be floating. Stupid me! I know a few of them I have found with small starts on them when I was cleaning string algae out of there so I'm hoping they will all make it. I'll need to get more gravel for that bog, and also for the new one. Truckload it is!
Need to get outside. Have to take pup to the vet check it for microchip, then get to digging. Oh what fun!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I could start one, or type it here which do you prefer?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It doesn't matter. Is this just like a regular bog only filled with peat? Is it all peat or is it a mixture? Do you have to fill it up periodically or let the rain take care of it. those type of ?'s

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The carnivorous bog is simple:

A liner, tarp, plastic, with some holes in it. I don't have holes in my home depot tarp, do have a edge I can nudge down if we get a ton of rain.

It is a equal mixture of peat moss and sand

You only need it about 8-12 inches deep.

The plants like to be wet then dry wet then dry. Mine stay somewhat wet unless it really is dry, no rain for weeks. I add water only if we have a long dry spell, like the last two summers I had to water the bogs. This spring so far have not added any water.

Reaction score
I was planning on having my skimmer feed a trickle tower which would then feed the bog. My bottom drains and mid level would be using a airlift setup with a settling tank and bio filter. From reading this I wonder if just the settling tank would be needed for the airlift part. My pond is 10,000 gallons and has Koi and goldfish. Should I have both systems feeding the bog?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was planning on having my skimmer feed a trickle tower which would then feed the bog. My bottom drains and mid level would be using a airlift setup with a settling tank and bio filter. From reading this I wonder if just the settling tank would be needed for the airlift part. My pond is 10,000 gallons and has Koi and goldfish. Should I have both systems feeding the bog?

My pond feeds directly into the pond bog, I do not have bottom drains or koi. If I had bottom drains I would install a settlement tank to snag the big muck, but no bio before the bog, the plants love the nutrients.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The carnivorous bog is simple:

A liner, tarp, plastic, with some holes in it. I don't have holes in my home depot tarp, do have a edge I can nudge down if we get a ton of rain.

It is a equal mixture of peat moss and sand

You only need it about 8-12 inches deep.

The plants like to be wet then dry wet then dry. Mine stay somewhat wet unless it really is dry, no rain for weeks. I add water only if we have a long dry spell, like the last two summers I had to water the bogs. This spring so far have not added any water.

I forgot to mention they love acidic, therefore the peat moss, our well water is 5.6 our rain is low ph also.

DSC03499.jpg

sundew flower

DSC03501.jpg

The back yard plant bog is near the top of our stream, right below the white hose hanging
DSC03187.jpg

I put in some false asters, they love the dampness and stay small The green plant bottom of the picture is a cardinal, beautiful red flowers if it decides to bloom, usually later in the season. It too likes damp

DSC03674.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are doing very nicely in there addy! What a pretty bloom that Sundew has!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So in the last pic this lined with a liner with no holes?

yes a brown home depot liner, the edge on the down hill side is held up by a few rocks, I can drop it down 2 inches if need be to drain some water, so far have never done that.

The second to last picture you can see the rocks holding up the liner, 4 steps up, if we ever have a really really wet summer, and they stay wet too long I can drop that edge. Both of my carnivorous bogs are in full all day sun, they don't stay soaking wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Do you have to do anything with the carnivorous plants in the winter, Addy? Or, are they completely hardy where they are? And, how many plants did you initially have, and have they multiplied? Looks like you have quite a few, and I thought they were slow growing, but maybe some types multiply well. I'd like to try them sometime, and now knowing that they can be in their own little bog, not necessarily attached to the pond (or shouldn't maybe be, because of the peat), it could go anywhere, which is neat! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I finished the small box / waterfall bog I was building today. I like it . I used 2 x 12's and some leftover pond liner I kept from when we built the pond ... used 2 inch pipe > cut slots in it for the water to flow into the pea gravel ,,, it took 9 bags to fill it. I still need to find 2 or 3 more plants to plant in it.

Front , Back , top view ,, you can kinda see the pipe one end is open and I put a cap on the other where I can flush it out if needed ..

Picture of my koi and goldfish ... hubby is thinking of removing the goldfish and just keep the koi ...

The last Picture is a side view of the pond before I added the bog box ...

Tammy

Attachments

• Photo-0014.jpg
    Photo-0014.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 680
  • get-attachmentpond 3.jpg
    get-attachmentpond 3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 736
  • get-attachmentpond8.jpg
    get-attachmentpond8.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 683
  • Photo-0002.jpg