Bog building

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by addy1, Jun 22, 2011.

1. addy1

don't ask

yes very nice work Tammy... what is the box on the post?

don't ask, Jun 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

don't ask

Addy, I''l come and help you if hubby doesn't have the time or you need someone to video

don't ask, Jun 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

steve-o

addy1, great article but didn't see any pics in your profile? You also said you have a lotus bog? I have a very similar set up and was thinking about letting my lotus plant free in one of the bogs but don't really know how well it would filter. Any idea's/

steve-o, Jun 27, 2012
  4. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I have two carnivorous bogs, not lotus. The lotus are in a rubbermaid stock tank, mini pond, around 300 gallons of water.

I have never looked at the profile, well for a long time, you mean pics of the pond?

addy1, Jun 27, 2012
  5. addy1

steve-o

My mistake. I found some pics nose'in around the forum of your pond and "river" system. Loooks really nice. Do you have any ideas or info on letting a lotus plant outta their tub in a bog?

steve-o, Jun 27, 2012
  6. addy1

CountryEscape

Be careful "letting your lotus loose", Steve. If you have ever seen them take over a pond (like cattails do) you would understand. I think it would be really neat to have on the edge of my farm pond, but only if I could control them by having an area of shallow shelf, and then very deep where they could not survive. Otherwise they will continue to multiply and push their way around. I noticed them in a lake last weekend, and they took up a HUGE area, probably an acre or more, of the edge of that lake.
    Not sure how they would do in a bog, though. Addy would be the one to answer that. They are a delicate plant, but once established, I guess they can be very invasive.

CountryEscape, Jun 27, 2012
  7. addy1

no clue on how they would do in a bog, if nice and wet prob ok, but the tuber would need to be deep enough not to freeze. This is my second summer with lotus, so I am far from an expert. The person I bought them from says they like around 4 inches of water over the tuber. Here 4 inches, with a cold winter, would not protect the tuber from a freeze.

Tammy very nice bog! that looks great, meant to say that last night. Love how you did it.

addy1, Jun 27, 2012
  8. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Tammy that is a very cool idea you came up w/ and it looks so nice!

j.w, Jun 27, 2012
  9. addy1

don't ask

just think addy you could travel around the country helping people build their bogs

don't ask, Jun 27, 2012
  10. addy1

TTuckertbnc

The box is where I have my UV clarifier and the 2 pumps in the 2 box filters in the pond plugged into the power cord and the extra cord tied up neat ... 1 pump pumps the water up into the UV unit and it drains now into the bog pipe under the gravel .. the other box filter just makes a mild ripple fountain in the pond because its so deep . I'm planning on getting some clear piping the size I need to fit to the pump in that box filter and running it into the same pipe doubling the amount of water going thru the bog ...

Attached Files:

TTuckertbnc, Jun 28, 2012
  11. addy1

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

If you notice to the right the lotus is in the top right hand side. I fed the water through it, over a water fall to a basin that had floating plants and it worked very similar to a bog but withou the gravel filtration. The lotus did great like this for a few years. But as stated, they will take over what ever they live in, so i would try to contain it in a pot instead of a full blown pond. I think it would grow very well but It's going to be a bugger to try and get out when it's time.

Attached Files:

fishin4cars, Jun 28, 2012
  12. addy1

CountryEscape

Pretty lotus, Larkin. LOVE your blue heron! Looks very real.

CountryEscape, Jun 28, 2012
  13. addy1

This is the evolution of our bog: you can see how it changes in just a few years.

The beginning

the hole

[​IMG]
    DSC01176.JPG
    DSC00221.JPG
    end of the first summer, build still in progress, a few plants put in
    DSC00322.JPG
    DSC01154a.JPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

beginning of the second summer

[​IMG]
    DSC01747.JPG

[​IMG]

The bog changes yearly, really dependent on how much you groom, yank or pull out!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    addy1, Jul 16, 2012
    Mmathis and j.w like this.
  14. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Can't hardly see ya back there everything has grown like crazy! Looks great!

j.w, Jul 16, 2012
  15. addy1

CountryEscape

Great progressive pics, Addy. Thanks for sharing. Loved seeing it at the start, to what it has grown to now. Yes, JW is right, can't hardly see you in there! Beautiful!!!

CountryEscape, Jul 16, 2012
  16. addy1

FountainMan A fountain is like a sculpture but made of water.

I just came across this. My pond basically has bog edging but water not pumped into the bog but flows past the bog area. The pea gravel is below the water level so the peat moss can absorb and become saturated to favor the plants growing in it. Now if the water line is below the pea gravel do the roots do down to the water? Besides the carnivorous plants we basically have weeds growing (will be delt with in fall). So the bog Area isn't verry big. about 4"wide, 4" deep and runs the perimeter of the stream and lagoon. In the lagoon the water is piped into the center where I built a pit for the fountain pump. Around that the lagoon has a pea gravel floor about 8" deep. I built a river rock wall 4" in from the actuall edge of the pond. Here I have the peat moss and plants.

Am I doing anything wrong? The plants are growing and it seems to do a good job at filtering. But after reading this I feal I neglected some important things.

FountainMan, Jul 31, 2012
  17. addy1

imho what you have is fine. If you are saying it is filtering the water then what you have done is working. There are many ways to add plants, gravel etc to help keep your water nice and clean.

The plants will send their roots down until they reach water. If your pea gravel is higher than the water the roots will go down until they find water.

addy1, Jul 31, 2012
  18. addy1

So another question. I also read not to add a pre filter. This has been in the plans. The lagoon looks nice when the pebbles are clean but the mud accumulates heavily on the top of the pebbles. The water is clear but the mud is dence. I get rid of it and then it's back again. I've been toying with the idea of adding a pressurized bio filter into the feed.

[​IMG]

Is it possible to run the backflush line into the gravel bed so all the organic matter goes into the bog where it can be used by the plants, but clean water is returned to surface?

19. addy1

The best thing you can do is try it. Mine gets straight pond water, from all I have read the plants like unfiltered nutrients from the pond. Put it in and see what happens. There, most likely, is enough nutrients in the water even after the filter to feed the plants.

addy1, Jul 31, 2012
  20. addy1

Awesome. I'm sure it will be a while before I make purchase. But when I do I'll keep everyone posted.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question