Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think I lost myself I have not kept it simple that's for sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you build with a bog, does the pond have sort of a cycle? I used to have salt tanks so im likening it to that. My pond has had water in for about three weeks now. The plants in my bog are a good clump of iris I had and the rest are small plants I just bought. Its starting to grow algae on all the rocks inside and the water color is a little tinted. Its about 1700 gallons, its been getting more sun than not because my trees dont have all the leaves out yet. I also have a fine layer of dirt on everything. I rinsed everything over and over but yet when you step on a rock or in the area that is shallow but full of pea gravel, it sets off a balloon of dirt.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Molly1 !

All ponds cycle, regardless of the type of filtration. What you are experiencing sounds perfectly normal for a new pond. You want algae on your rocks as that adds to the eco-system of your pond, especially before your plants really start to grow. It also gives your fish something to nibble on that's alive and green - good stuff!

Ask more questions if you have them, but perhaps in a new post as these longer threads sometimes get lost. We'd love to hear more about your pond - what kind of equipment, how is it constructed, how many fish, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So talking last night, my hubby pointed out that since the pool already has a tear in it in one spot, we could convert it into an actual pond. I still want raised sides to protect my fish, from flooding, snakes, turtles, and water loving dogs. I’m thinking about doing a bog. I’ll have to work on what would be a good raised siding to prevent snakes, how high I’ll need the walls, and how big I need to go to get a total volume I like.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So talking last night, my hubby pointed out that since the pool already has a tear in it in one spot, we could convert it into an actual pond. I still want raised sides to protect my fish, from flooding, snakes, turtles, and water loving dogs. I’m thinking about doing a bog. I’ll have to work on what would be a good raised siding to prevent snakes, how high I’ll need the walls, and how big I need to go to get a total volume I like.
@JamieB Sounds like a great idea! Not sure, but don’t think you can “prevent snakes,” though. What size and shape is the pool? Is it an in-ground or above-ground? And what do you mean by “raised sides to protect” from flooding, etc — do you mean to keep yard water from getting into the pond as opposed to pond water getting in the yard? We’ll need more info on the pool to be able to advise on a bog, etc. If you have pictures, this would be helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They’d have to climb the ladder to get in what I have now. Picture 1
Where I want to go is the center of the circle of my drive, where I was clearing weeds to do flower beds. I’ll sit down and draw out my ideas tonight. So by flooding, I refer to when the river jumps the banks, it can get all across the yard, almost to the house, washes out the road, up to about 2’ deep or so where I’m thinking of going with this. So my plan, is use the pool body, to be the liner and how I dig it out will determine depth. I’ll keep the edge of the liner up the wall about a foot, build a wall to support them, and be decorative, for me to sit on. I’ll set up an overflow in case the pond floods. I’m just starting to think this all through. The pool is 20-22’ across, about 4’ high, so if I down size it to a kidney shape, maybe 10-14’ across by 8’ wise, use 1/3 of an end as a big, plus some along the edges, that’d be plenty. I have to drag out a tape measure to know for sure just what dimensions will fit well. See rough draft layout, pic 2, but it’s subject to change based on how the liner fits and water volume. I’d like to aim for around 2000 gallons. That’s be more than enough, 1200 is more realistic with dedicating 1/3 to bog. 20 or so goldfish, at roughtly 30 gallons of space each, that’s 600 minimum, so leaves space for keeping some of the best babies and maybe a koi. Or two! I know this will be a big project to work up to. Gathering rock, digging the hole by hand, building the wall, draining the pool, storing as much water as I can and the fish, moving the liner. If I start digging this year on my days off, I could get a good hole started. Then next spring, maybe we will get rain, and that might tell me how deep it floods there for sure. Spend that year finishing the dig, gathering the rock, pump I’ll need, etc over the summer. Early autumn, drain the pool, move the liner, refill it, move the fish. If I do this in stages, I won’t get overwhelmed, kill my self pushing too hard, or kill my budget by spending too much at once.

Attachments

• 38B69249-86B5-4743-AE95-382740689D07.jpeg
    38B69249-86B5-4743-AE95-382740689D07.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 03D1C857-9CD7-447C-A806-2C26326A1065.jpeg
    03D1C857-9CD7-447C-A806-2C26326A1065.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 243
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
JamieB, If you go to the DIY section of the forums and go back to April of 2015, I started a (too long) thread of converting an in-ground swimming pool to a pond and then an addendum concerning building a bog to accommodate the pond. I made some mistakes along the way, but mentioned them in the narrative and what I did to remedy the problems. The thread is not all inclusive for the projects involved, but might help......
I only mention this in hopes that it may prevent my mistakes from being repeated in your new build.

(edit:) Jamie, we posted at the same time.....sorry, I wasn't aware your pool was above ground. Some of my mistakes still may save you some grief.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ll be doing a lot of reading before I get things actually in motion beyond rough drafts. I’ll go out with a garden hose and lay it out in a rough outline so I can see how it might look. I think getting a good idea of that is my first step, followed by digging, digging, and more digging. Then probably next year, at the end of summer, I’ll start the process of moving things. I’ll be digging it entirely by hand, maybe with a dog paw or 12 thrown in on occasion, or a kitty paw!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
7DCAC98D-16CA-415D-8AF8-3A4DF12B1BC6.jpeg
28411A57-2B5F-4AC1-B153-56FE82D509F6.jpeg
0AE612E2-6DF8-4BC4-9A54-BE6509726893.jpeg 5D45DA2A-5FAF-46CD-B504-1D4371F29C44.jpeg B3287F02-2BAD-4D9C-959C-8227A2DCAE86.jpeg
88486BF5-2969-4FCA-B1D7-8732110D56CA.jpeg
Here’s a few more pics, with where I want to put it. For those who have built ponds, does the location look ok? It has the Big tree to shade it from the east, I’ll be putting in smaller trees/ bushes like Jane Magnolia and lilacs to the west once those two trees are out. I have to work out how to run power out to the pump, and water. I’m thinking dig a trench, run wiring through a pipe and burry it. I can drag a hose from the house if I need to top it off. My to do list today is rearrange our room, move all my plants, mow, then use a garden hose to lay out a rough design. Maybe I’ll dig a boarder if it’s not too hot. We got a heavy dew, so that’ll be an afternoon chore so we can mow it first.

Attachments

• 6333E4F8-36AE-400E-8F74-776EC3B9E7F3.jpeg
    6333E4F8-36AE-400E-8F74-776EC3B9E7F3.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I got it mowed and my rough draft lay out using garden hose. Due to ease of running power, water out, I decided to go with a bog to the west side, so I can have power to a pump, add water in the bog, and if we go with dads idea, my little gazebo will become a bbq/ smoke pit. If I have it sized right, the pool body will fit it well, just need folding at the different depths. Dad suggested we build up the bog to be about a foot above ground level so to create a waterfall, just a small one. I might go a bit taller than a foot, so the entire bog sits above ground level, and if I do a stacked wall of flat rocks, that would amp up the waterfall sound. So I may start digging along the edges today, giving myself more of a rough draft idea. But before I do, does anyone see an issue with the shape/ layout? I know with the tree right there, I’ll have to do a skimmer.

Ask a Question