Bog building

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by addy1, Jun 22, 2011.

1. addy1

humbirdlover

Addy, got some questions? Here'a few pics of the only space I have for a bog If my pond surface is 7' x 8' that's 56 sq, feet and it's recommended to need about 30% for a bog, a 3' x 6' space would be enough? Also in the pics there is a over flow pipe to the left next to the watercan, hard to see. But I can't dig there. would you recommend me putting the bog to the right of that pipe? I do have a space with rocks in pic 3 that could possibly work, but that would put the input from the bog opposite where the water comes in from my hand pump water feature. I can't move that..Help! LOL I really don't have much space to work with but would really like to put a bog in.

Attached Files:

humbirdlover, Sep 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

humbirdlover

third pic got lost, LOL Here's the rock space..

Attached Files:

humbirdlover, Sep 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

My previous bogs were small compared to the pond. This one just ended up huge, mainly for the plants, but also I did not want any other type of filtration.
    The size you are saying will work. I would just pick the area that will work best for you and put it in.

addy1, Sep 26, 2012
  4. addy1

CountryEscape

HBL, can't wait to see you start digging your bog! I don't think where the water flows from the bog into the pond will make any difference to where the hand pump water feature is. It's all circulating the water, and the flow from the bog will be very light, unless you make your bog elevated somewhat.
    Is that Creeping Jenny that is a bright lime green/yellow color? Mine must be a different variety, but I love the color contrast of that and your day lilies!

CountryEscape, Sep 27, 2012
  5. addy1

my creeping jenny is yellow, have some green too. It is growing wonderfully.

addy1, Sep 27, 2012
  6. addy1

CountryEscape

I'm wondering, since so many have the creeping jenny. Do plants come up through it, or does it pretty much smother anything that is under it? I have it in and around lots of my plants in between the deck and pond, stuff JW gave me last year, and this year it just spread solid! So, do I worry about the plants coming back next year, or will they get started maybe before the jenny, and then the jenny just fills in the extra space? I love how weeds don't stand a chance around it, but worry some of my perennials may not come back either. Perennials I'm talking about are a tall iris (which should emerge before the jenny), dwarf coneflower, sedum, balloon flower (just planted that this summer late, on clearance, so no biggie if it doesn't come back in time). Had an Oxalis (purple 4-leaf clover plant) come back from last year, I'm thinking because of mild winter, and the jenny sheltering it! I will pull it away from the plants and put some type of ring (cut off a flower pot) around the plants I want saved, if I have to worry about the creeping jenny smothering them before they get started back up. Then can remove the rings once the perennials are going well. Your thoughts, Addy/HBL/JW and anyone else that has creeping jenny?

CountryEscape, Sep 27, 2012
  7. addy1

humbirdlover

Thanks addy. I guess it's possible to move that over flow pipe, just as long as there's enough fall, so will measure and find some liner. In a post from Waterbug, he was talking about having an air space where one liner over laps another? The liner from the bog will have to overlap the existing pond liner. What do you think I should put under the over lap? It had something to do with water seeping up between? I'll never find the thread again, do you know what he meant?
    Yes CE, that creeping jenny takes over there, LOL It gets a lot of sun so stays that bright yellow. If you pick up the top layer, it's green underneath. I like it because it's one ground cover you can rip up, and get rid of it you want. :)

humbirdlover, Sep 27, 2012
  8. addy1

humbirdlover

I've never had a problem with it smothering anything. It's easy to rip out if you don't want it to grow up in the plants. I give it a good hair cut in the spring to get rid of all the brown dead parts. I kinda let that patch get out of control, but you can control it easy enough.

humbirdlover, Sep 27, 2012
    CountryEscape likes this.
  9. addy1

Fishylove

i believe the Oxalis is a perennial CE, at least mine has come back. And I've not had a problem with creeping jenny smothering other plants, I'll even plant annuals where there are holes in the creeping jenny and they do just fine. Now, I have it in my front flower beds that get mostly shade ( early morning sun) that could be why it doesn't grow so fast. But the Hosta's and Purple Palace come up from under it just fine.

Fishylove, Sep 27, 2012
    CountryEscape likes this.
  10. addy1

Fishylove

few pictures of the area i would like to put the bog, but not sure if it would be feasible...

this is a sandstone retaining wall, no mortar just dry fit very sturdy, the wall is filled with soil, then the stair/walkway butted up to it and down around it...

the fourth picture here you can see the temperary pond i have the fish in while I replace the liner and dig some more :D

the last two is an idea i had to make the retaining wall a Bog and have it stream over the walkway and into the pond, then have some type of bridge over the stream...

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      86.7 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      77.5 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
    • 027.JPG
      027.JPG
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
    Fishylove, Sep 27, 2012
    addy1 likes this.
  11. addy1

Fishylove

In the last two the temporary pond would then be a perminant shallow water garden maybe? Its too shallow to keep fish in it in the winter, but i could use it for fish i can bring in. was thinking Oranda's? anyway it too would spill into the main pond, as you can see in pic 5... what do you guys think? too cramped an area? or maybe too much for that area?

Fishylove, Sep 27, 2012
  12. addy1

I have never sealed liner together like that and have not had seepage issues. I over lap, put sealant between the two liners and some sealant on the edges.
    He is talking of keeping an air gap so the water does not work back up between the two liners.
    I have overlapping liner everywhere, bought one piece for the stream, but with the twists and turns I had to cut it and do a ton of overlapping. So far no issues, this is the third summer.

addy1, Sep 27, 2012
    humbirdlover likes this.
  13. addy1

From what I can see, I think that would look great. I used a large piece of stone to make a bridge over parts of my steam so I can walk over it.

I added those preforms in a small area with them flowing into the big pond, never thought they would fit but it worked out well.

If you like it that is what is important. The water from the big pond flows into the top preform, then into the lotus tank, then to the larger preform then via a small stream into the big pond

[​IMG]

addy1, Sep 27, 2012
    j.w likes this.
  14. addy1

CountryEscape

And there you have it! Addy has such great ideas! I love your ideas, Fishy! I can see your vision for sure. Sounds like it would work very well, and you would have a bog, and a stream, and a couple more areas of water to do with whatever you want. Remember, fall from one area to the other doesn't take much. I felt my yard was so flat, until I laid out liner for my stream. I had no laser, but just running a hose on it told me it had plenty of fall to flow the correct way. :) Good luck!!! Keep us posted. Loved the pics and idea drawings, too.

CountryEscape, Sep 28, 2012
  15. addy1

Fishylove

It's Beautiful addy! :cheerful: You really do have an eye for this stuff! You really think so CE? Thank you! hubby is afraid the wall will not support the bog, but I think it will. I built both sides before i filled it with top soil, then filled the spaces in the rock with that foam
    THE WALL ISN"T BUDGING! Lol Besides I wont be using the entire area anyway, and it won't be that deep really... I'M GONNA DO IT! :claphands: NOW! If it will just stop raining! :umbrella:

Fishylove, Sep 28, 2012
  16. addy1

The drop from the last preform to the big pond is not much, about 4 inches. The drop between the top preform and the lotus tank is an inch, enough for water to flow the right direction. I saw small fish in them, the only place I have seen fry, need to move them into the big pond before winter. The preforms will probably freeze if we get a bad winter. I am not doing anything to keep them open. I keep the lotus tank open with air, well did last year , will see what this year brings, it has rosey reds in it.

addy1, Sep 28, 2012
  17. addy1

CountryEscape

Yippee, Fishy is going to begin a bog and other additions to her ponds! I don't think a bog has to be very deep, just need to have that water flow up and through it, and the deeper it is, the more pea gravel, the more filtration. Keep in mind what is safe for your wall. Water and pea gravel will weigh more than the dirt, but I think you are on the right track. I have the stones that they use for walls, stacked with a ledge and they are holding back the dirt and waterfall and waterfall pool just fine. Keep posting pics as you go! It's oh so much fun to see later each and every step along the way!

CountryEscape, Sep 29, 2012
    Fishylove likes this.
  18. addy1

Fishylove

Will do ce! :)

Fishylove, Sep 29, 2012
  19. addy1

FountainMan A fountain is like a sculpture but made of water.

Island.png Island bog design.png Stream.

I'm thinking of something similar to what Wayne did with making an island. Depends on how big the pond is. Too small an island may just be a space hog but in a larger pond an island allows water to flow freely. Or having a small pump feed water into the rock foundation to act as a filter. Or if you built a water course put some screening mesh in it to keep the peet from washing away and this will allow the roots to grow down into the water and the peet to soak up the water and the bog serves as a natural filter while the plants get constant supply of nutrients.

FountainMan, Sep 30, 2012
  20. addy1

fountainman, don't recall all about your water / pond etc. Keep in mind peat lowers your ph, my acidic loving carnivorous plants are in peat to keep the soil acidic.

addy1, Sep 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question