Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
addy1, great article but didn't see any pics in your profile? You also said you have a lotus bog? I have a very similar set up and was thinking about letting my lotus plant free in one of the bogs but don't really know how well it would filter. Any idea's/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two carnivorous bogs, not lotus. The lotus are in a rubbermaid stock tank, mini pond, around 300 gallons of water.

I have never looked at the profile, well for a long time, you mean pics of the pond?

Reaction score
My mistake. I found some pics nose'in around the forum of your pond and "river" system. Loooks really nice. Do you have any ideas or info on letting a lotus plant outta their tub in a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Be careful "letting your lotus loose", Steve. If you have ever seen them take over a pond (like cattails do) you would understand. I think it would be really neat to have on the edge of my farm pond, but only if I could control them by having an area of shallow shelf, and then very deep where they could not survive. Otherwise they will continue to multiply and push their way around. I noticed them in a lake last weekend, and they took up a HUGE area, probably an acre or more, of the edge of that lake.
Not sure how they would do in a bog, though. Addy would be the one to answer that. They are a delicate plant, but once established, I guess they can be very invasive.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no clue on how they would do in a bog, if nice and wet prob ok, but the tuber would need to be deep enough not to freeze. This is my second summer with lotus, so I am far from an expert. The person I bought them from says they like around 4 inches of water over the tuber. Here 4 inches, with a cold winter, would not protect the tuber from a freeze.

Tammy very nice bog! that looks great, meant to say that last night. Love how you did it.

Thanks, I could do it, but pictures show it pretty well, not much to it, pretty darn simplistic compared to some of the filter builds for ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The box is where I have my UV clarifier and the 2 pumps in the 2 box filters in the pond plugged into the power cord and the extra cord tied up neat ... 1 pump pumps the water up into the UV unit and it drains now into the bog pipe under the gravel .. the other box filter just makes a mild ripple fountain in the pond because its so deep . I'm planning on getting some clear piping the size I need to fit to the pump in that box filter and running it into the same pipe doubling the amount of water going thru the bog ...

Attachments

• get-attachmentequipmentbox.jpg
    get-attachmentequipmentbox.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 425

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you notice to the right the lotus is in the top right hand side. I fed the water through it, over a water fall to a basin that had floating plants and it worked very similar to a bog but withou the gravel filtration. The lotus did great like this for a few years. But as stated, they will take over what ever they live in, so i would try to contain it in a pot instead of a full blown pond. I think it would grow very well but It's going to be a bugger to try and get out when it's time.

Attachments

• 100_1640.jpg
    100_1640.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 584

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the evolution of our bog: you can see how it changes in just a few years.

The beginning

the hole

DSC01176a.jpg

DSC01176.JPG

DSC00221.JPG

end of the first summer, build still in progress, a few plants put in
DSC00322.JPG

DSC01154a.JPG

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

beginning of the second summer

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01747.JPG

DSC04047-1.jpg

The bog changes yearly, really dependent on how much you groom, yank or pull out!

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Can't hardly see ya back there everything has grown like crazy! Looks great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great progressive pics, Addy. Thanks for sharing. Loved seeing it at the start, to what it has grown to now. Yes, JW is right, can't hardly see you in there! Beautiful!!!

Ask a Question