Bog cleanout pump/sump pump selection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
~9a
Country
United States
I've read more than a few post on this forum and elsewhere about using a 'pump' to occasionally backflush a bog, usually by putting it down a 'snorkel' unit and pumping out the water from the bottom while adding more water to wash it out from above.
My question is what kind of pumps are used here? I assume they're different from the standard pumps used to circulate pond water (those being stationary for the most part). Are sump pumps the right choice?
I have a pool I'm intending to convert to a bog-filtered pond, and I'm wondering what kind of pump I should get to
-drain the pool of its current dirty water,
-have available to backflush the bog,
-and redirect any excess water in the pond.

Rather than just dumping the water into the septic tank or something, I'd like to be able to redirect the dirty water to use it for plants. The pool (soon-to-be pond) is ~20000 gallons.
Any particular brands/models you guys have had good experiences with? Something durable and long lasting would be best.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just have a Superior 4000 GPH utility pump. Works great. Doesn’t handle solids that well, but it does well enough and was maybe $60.

A sump pump would work well. They can often handle a bit more solids.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't use this for my bog but for our above ground pool and hot tub, and getting the dirty water out of the pond when I was first building it and I'm happy with it. There are bunch that are similar on amazon. The float switch is a little sensitive so to get the last bit of water I have to put it up on the top of the pump and just watch the water level and pull the plug when it finishes.

Ask a Question